Querying Agents/ Portfolio Critique

• Hi all! I was wondering if anyone has some feedback on my current portfolio. My goal is to add 10-12 new pieces (and maybe replace some) before I start querying for an agent. If anyone has checked out the thread Our SVS Virtual Studio February❤ I posted some spot illustration sketches I am currently working on.

Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 1.25.32 PM.png
    www.katiekordesh.com

Also, If anyone has pics or advice about what their portfolio looked like when they got an agent that would be helpful too :))

Thanks!! ☺

• The feedback I recently got from an agency was to add 'kids of all shapes, sizes and nationalities doing more things'. So I suppose make sure you have some standard kids, tall kids, skinny kids, short kids, fat kids, happy kids, sad kids, screaming kids, laughing kids, silly kids, and on and on and on, lol.

Other than that I'm busy revamping my portfolio for the same reasons you are, so can't give many suggestions 🙂

• OOO! Thanks so much Braden, thats really good advice! My wheels are turnin. Maybe i'll do a big scene and stick as many kids in there as possible 🤔

• @Katie-Kordesh Lots of little spots could work, too! I find I can make those a lot faster than full scenes

• SVS OG

@Katie-Kordesh hi, Katie! I love your work. I think you’re off to a great start. I think your skills are already professional level. You might even land an agent with your current portfolio. But if you want to increase your chances, here’s my few tips.

1. Make more multi-cultural Kids. Like @Braden-Hallett said, illustrate various kids of various races, of various shapes and sizes doing various things. When I first signed up with my agent, they also asked me to create A LOT of kids. Publishers apparently love incorporating various races in their books nowadays. I’m currently working on a book with an Indian and Filipino protagonists.

2. Make Narrative Pieces. A good way to differentiate a professional portfolio from a student is to see if they have multiple illustrations telling a story. Why? Publishers want to see if you can recreate the same character over different pieces. A lot of amateur artists can’t do this. They also want to see how you interpret text into images. My suggestion is to pick at least two classic fairytales ( or any story of your choosing) and make atleast 3 illustrations for each.

I hope this helps. I wish you all the best.

• Hi Nyrryl! Thanks so much for the kind words and feedback! Definitely going to plot out some kid centric illustrations. I really like your top down illustrations with a lot of kids doing stuff, and I remember really enjoying looking at illustrations like that as a kid.

Thanks for pointing out I need to add more narrative pieces. I just realized I have a lot of characters in the middle of the page just sitting there.

Thanks again! lots to work on 💪