Our SVS Virtual Studio February❤️2020

February? What happened to January?! 😜

What is everyone working on this month? 😃

Imagine you are walking through a studio silently looking over people’s shoulders at their work. This is NOT a place for critiques. You may applaud, encourage, ooh and ah only.

Here’s a WIP of my bear. It’s finished and currently being placed in a postcard layout in Illustrator. I photoshopped the shadows across the whole postcard. I’ll share how I did that in another post because it was pretty sketchy but turned out just fine. 😃
    5EA6DA5A-0F68-452E-8803-2DA74058BA0C.jpeg

• I'm working on adding objects in perspective to my final basic perspective class assignment (taking it farther). My ellipses are getting better but still needing more practice and understanding. i feel like it's coming. And then I was adding the photo frame and one off the main perspective book so had some practice with adding objects with different vanishing points. I think I find doing interiors kinda boring though :face_with_stuck-out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    FINALPERSPECTIVE3.jpg

HI! I wanted to share something I did in photoshop. So I painted a bear to go on the back of a postcard, but I also plan on selling the painting later on this years so I made it an 8x10 (earlier post). But for the postcard I wanted the shadows to go across the whole back of the card (this was an afterthought so I didn't prepare for it).
    So I opened it in photoshop...
    Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 2.39.27 PM.png
    Then selected the shadows, copied and pasted to a new layer and stretched it so it fit across the new horizontal formatted page.
    Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 2.38.40 PM.png
    I also used liquify to adjust the shape of the big shadow so it looked more like a bear shaped blob. You can see the effect that liquify had on the pixels, pas bien.
    Then I copied in a texture that I made from bristol board and used curves to darken the value, and erased the parts covering the bear.
    Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 2.38.48 PM.png
    I set that layer to overlay, adjusted the value a bit more to match and Voila!
    Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 2.38.30 PM.png
    I have a tiny bit of adjustments to make before I call it passable, but I thought, you'all might want to see how I did this. =)x

• @burvantill very interesting! Thanks for sharing! digital is sooooo cool 🙂

• littlesurferjpg2.jpg
    I'm going through the watercolor and digital class to try to learn how to incorporate watercolor textures with digital. I did the first demo which was the little surfer 🙂 Pretty fun.

• alt text

• @burvantill, I copied a book cover for learning purposes (not traced), and made new typography of the main title.
    87FD7FAA-D8EB-4888-BF38-3984F68B1201.jpeg

I just found the address of a publisher that I have been searching for for HOURS! I feel like an awesome detective that just caught the bad guy. I have found you, BWAHAHA!
    lol

• I was working on putting in a watercolor background but then it got all covered up and I went nuts coloring LoL. I know this isn't a critique thread but am wondering if it's too dark and or saturated? I have lighter versions. My eyes seem to get tired and then the eyes and maybe brain too don't think right anymore and I can't figure out what's the best version! One awesome thing about Photoshop is quickly changing hue, saturation, brightness, contrast but it's also kind of the worst sometimes too 😜Anyhow it was fun 😁 I do like doing characters more than backgrounds! Gotta keep working on both thoreceived_191761415270208.jpeg

• Painted this piece for an exhibition this coming weekend at a local gallery in Dallas. Love working traditionally, and I'm focused on finding more avenues to do so this year.

Little White Lie_Social.jpg

• @Coley I love this! I like the color combination, but I see what you mean about it may be a bit on the dark side. It does contrast nicely though with the light source. Maybe just lighten up the rope and the blanket a little to counterbalance the night sky?

• @Coley Hey, I remember this one! I think it looks really good as is. Such a beautiful mood. Since all monitors are a little different from eachother, I guess it could be on the dark side for some. Well done!

• @Jenna-Jenks and @TessaW thanks! I might play around with it a little. The difference between monitors is a real struggle ! LOL

• Trying simple colour blocked thumbnails before even starting the sketch.

alt text

• SVS OG

• Hi all,
    I'm new here and a little nervous about posting. I just finished up a class on imagining things in perspective and it was so very helpful. Lately, I've been creating quick little illustrations to both practice perspective and working digitally:
    IMG_1568.JPG IMG_1553.JPG IMG_1547.JPG

• IMG_1666.jpg IMG_1667.jpg

Hello! This is month I am going to be trying to simplify and focus on design and composition. I have a really hard time focusing on one style of illustration because there are so many people I admire out there, and most of them are doing vastly different things. I have been working through "Creative Compositions" and it has been super helpful- I can't wait to see how I am able to implement the things I have been learning into more drawings.

I am also trying to work through characters, which is naturally a weak spot for me, but is becoming more enjoyable as I try to simplify!

Love seeing what everyone is doing here.

• Hi everyone! I am a new SVS member and am excited to see everyones work 🙂 I'm currently working on some spot illustrations of a bat I painted a few days ago.

Bats_Compressed1.jpg
    I think I am abandoning the attached wings so I can get clearer poses

Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 1.34.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 1.42.59 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 1.34.29 PM.png

katiekordesh.com
    Instagram

• I firmly believe that all cats, at heart, are evil.

alt text