How can I make these guys stronger? March feedback...

• I was really expecting to make it in with at least one of these two. It’s really very humbling. Now I’m just wondering what I could do to build a stronger character, I feel like rendering wise I was pretty solid, I’m thinking my issues must lie in the storytelling or originality in concept. Please let me know your thoughts.
    D70749CA-BA18-41D8-BF0E-0F02E7DE97DE.jpeg E0677C54-606E-43A0-B67C-25E1A46E24F7.jpeg

• I am not sure why Juniper and Pip didn't make it to the final 16, but it did make honorable mention, so that is good. I like the color on both your pieces. They aquatic one is nice, but maybe it didn't feel like a traveller as much as Juniper does. When Juniper is running, her arms should be the opposite of her legs. Her left arm should be going back if her left leg is forward. I think maybe the running gesture if slightly off because of that.
    I think there were just a lot of more unexpected characters and just more characters for them to choose from this time. Sometimes the ones I think will get picked, get picked, and sometimes they don't.

• @Kim-Rosenlof thank you I didn't even realize the leg-arm positioning but I see it now thanks. I have to say I really enjoyed your character too,very Tomie dePaola who I love!

@Asyas_illos I agree the mermaid doesn't look like a traveler. I really thought Juniper would make it, not sure what to critique there.

• @CLCanadyArts thank you I am seeing that I was rushing and didn’t put as much of the storytelling element into this one

• @Asyas_illos I actually prefer the merman because it's much more unusual. I'd say one thing you could do to elevate them is add more shadow and highlight to help them jump off the page. The close ups of their faces are a little flat. More details within the hair on the merman too