Mermaid (Friendship, companion) WIP.

• Hi. I almost decided to skip the contest this time, but I really really want to draw the underwater scene (Which I have never done before).
    😁
    So here are some of my thumbnails.
    Which story is worth telling? which concept is interesting to you?
    mermaid.jpg

#1: A lazy Sunday walk with your pet seahorse.
    Keywords: Playful, optimistic, relaxed, happy.

#2: The fish herder. (a mermaid holding a group of giant fish, swimming away into the deep sea.)
    Keywords: Mysterious, surreal.

#3: let's go, big guy! (Tiny mermaid is ready to go for a walk with her giant fish pet)
    Keywords: Fun, friendly, content.

#4: WIll you be my friend? (A mermaid with a giant hairdo, meets a tiny seahorse).
    Keywords: curious, fun. playful.

#5 Tea party ( a human child is coming for a playdate with a mermaid. She is in the middle of the tea party (a bit of Alice in Wonderland reference).
    Keywords: fun, playful.

• @xin-li

I like the creature character (the big guy) in number 3 but my favourite is the herder in number 2 -I think that idea is unique and I would play around with that one. πŸ™‚ Number 5 is a cute idea and is composed nicely.

• @xin-li Great ideas. I like the fish herder probably the most! Something tells me that they would have morecollective power than her, so I wonder what would happen if you put them in front of her like she has them on leashes and is trying to hold them back?

• @suenaumi hmmm. interesting thought. I will try that.

• SVS OG

I like number 3 the best πŸ™‚

• I like the compositions of 2 and 4 a lot and think they're worth pursuing, but in terms of story I love the idea of number 5! That could end up being really cute. I think all of them are a good start so I reckon whatever you go with is gonna end up being a nice picture.

• They are all such good ideas! Great job with the thumbnails. I like #5 the most. Probably because I just love tea parties and I love the story behind it πŸ™‚

• SVS OG

I would love to see a tea party! That’s my favorite idea

• Thanks for the suggestions so far. I might take both the fish herder and the tea party idea to the rough comp stage to see which one I like the best, and which one I am more likely managing to pull it off.

I really like the fish herder idea myself, but I am not sure if I am able to pull it off, struggled quite a bit even in the thumbnail stage πŸ˜… It is a very much scene based piece, and I have never painted the underwater scene before, nor did I drew many fishes. πŸ™‚

• I ended up with the playdate underwater idea. The piece is about friendship between the human child and a little mermaid. I want to this piece to be playful, fun, light weighted (Think about kids meeting up to play during the summer holiday).

It is still rough. But I am a bit blind with this piece right now. Just want to get some feedback on composition/value before I go too far with the painting.

Any suggestions on composition, and the posture of the characters?
    Which color study do you prefer?
    value study.jpg

• @xin-li The progress on this is great - everything from the thumbnails to the value studies and colour studies. I like the idea you've decided to go with - it's sweet and playful - and the drawing and composition look very good. The difference between the two colour studies seems to be mainly that the blue of the water is more saturated in #02. I would go for that. Out of curiosity, is there a focal point you would like to have in your picture? What would it be? (: