Cat ! finished illustration

• thanks for the advice rich, I will do that later 😉
    I also just noticed that mr mouse's eye should be closer to the nose

• I love these compositions, and don't want to impose by giving my suggestions, because I might not be at a level to properly critique you. However, a trick I do with all of my art is that I run it through a photo filter, such as snapseed, and see if my values are working, as well as see if the filters somewhat suggest textures I could use, as well as show me where things would look better darker or not. Here is what they looked like after the filter.

0_1489447321508_Snapseed.png

Notice how the texture really brings the piece together, as well as the contrast from the show behind the door could be a great place to highlight the light/dark distinction.

0_1489447664034_F8064606-173B-4298-88A2-59215495D897-2023-000002340151FDBF_tmp.png

The second image I saw thqt the cat's face was the same value as the background, and no matter what filter I flipped to, it could contrast the characters face from the background.

So those are my thoughts. I think the compositions are great, and just a little adjustment really knocks it out of the park.

Hope I didn't overstep with my two cents 😉

• @Eric-Castleman Very good point. Perhaps a good idea would be to bring the pond higher so it contrasts with the cat's face. It works for the chest, less reflective light in the water.

• thanks for your replies
    how does this work?
    I've added texture, and reworked the values like you suggested. I also added the nails in the door ^_^ (didn't change the place of the knob as this is not the same door as the other picture so it doesn't matter)

0_1489490588928_cat-web3.jpg

• SVS OG

@audrey-dowling Hi Audrey! First of all I think that small change to the placement of where her eye is looking - works perfectly now! You see she is alarmed and you see the cause of the danger. And now she is looking at him to give him warning. Just great!

Also I think those little nail heads on the front door give it a bit more importance in the scene now as well - it helps me to know that she is running to get inside and safely behind it.

Really nice job!

• thanks @Rich-Green !

• @audrey-dowling Hi Audrey! I love this - and great job with keeping character consistency between the pieces.
    Just one thing is throwing me off with your latest piece: the perspective seems off to me between the two mice. Mrs. Mouse looks a tad bit too small to me. Or, Mr. Mouse is slightly too large - either way. Another thing that would help here is making the stones in the path have an even greater size difference than they do now - largest to the front, much smaller close to the house. Same thing with the cabbages (carrot tops?) - right now they're the exact same size, but they should have a variation in size too.
    You have such a sweet style! Is this a full dummy you're putting together (with your own manuscript)? Or just a couple of portfolio pieces?

• Pro SVS OG

@audrey-dowling Did you see Giuseppe's tweet about mailers and coffee? Your postcard was on his desk!!!!! These are so cute!

• @DanetteDraws thanks for this danette, I will fix that. I actually fixed it on the 1st illustration too, as I thought that mr mouse was too small comparing to mrs mouse
    Not a full dummy, even though I have the storyline thought out. But for the moment I ficus on illustrating so it's just for my portfolio
    I saw that @lmrush and there was not many cards to compete with this week! 🙂 hope they will grab some attention somewhere...

• Pro SVS OG

@audrey-dowling I am sure they will, they are sweet images!