Effect Vehicle Design Assignments

• Hello! This is my first time submitting assignment work. I haven't felt confident enough with other classes I've taken but I have a couple of pieces that turned out really good for me (not the "WOW! You're so talented! Its more the "I didn't know I could do that!) so I thought I'd take the plunge and show everything I've done so far. It's funny because vehicles are totally the last thing I'm interested in drawing.

My goal with SVS is to do something on a small scale with illustration now that I'm retired. I'm not heading into a long-term career in illustration. But from reading the different posts and threads in the forum, I can see how everyone helps each other to grow and improve. In this spirit I am interested any comments or critiques and will listen closely to your words.

Assignment 1
    Part 1 Caricature: Exaggerate a car four different ways. It took a couple of tries for me to exaggerate!

IMG_1387.JPG IMG_1385.JPG IMG_1384.JPG IMG_1383.JPG

Part 2 Stance: Make a car first appear strong then weak. I don't know if my weak car looks more sad than weak.

IMG_1382.JPG IMG_1381.JPG

Part 3 Angle: From a picture of a plane and a boat, draw each from an angle different than shown, accentuating their key feature. This is a new way of thinking for me and I was pretty happy with the results even though I didn't do a final piece for each. I was so relieved to have finished a picture at all.

IMG_1380.JPG IMG_1379.JPG

Assignment 2 - Form vs Function of a Vehicle

The idea is to pick a character and design four vehicles, each fitting a different correlation of form and function. The character I picked is Mother Goose. I had so much fun with these! I realized afterwords that I forgot to do much in the exaggeration department, and in my quest to add depth with shadows on the motorcycle, I ended up painting them all with watercolor. There is loads of room for improvement but I am sure excited that I actually drew and painted all these modes of transportation!

IMG_1374.JPG High Form, High Function

IMG_1376.JPG Low Form, High Function

IMG_1377.JPG High Form, Low Function

IMG_1378.JPG Low Form, Low Function

So there it is. I will post the next assignments here as I get them done. Thanks so much!

• SVS OG

These are really nice. I have been avoiding the vehicle design class because I hate drawing vehicles -- they feel so non-organic -- but you've given them all a more organic feel. I especially like all of the curves in your cars.

• Your car caricatures are so good. You really pushed those proportions while still keeping them recognizable. Makes me feel like I didn't exaggerate them enough, haha! Great work!

• @demotlj Thanks Laurie! I actually stopped working on the course for a couple of months because I'm not big on drawing vehicles either. Since I really wanted to finish the course , I got myself going and it turned out to be a lot of fun!

• @Jacy13 Thanks Jacy! I had to work at it! It still doesn't come naturally.