Archiving work - How do you store your physical work?

• Hi. So i'm in the process of moving to another country and i am packing an entire life so i was thinking, how do you store and archive your drawings for years and years?

Do you use fixative on all your drawings and paintings? I only use fixative on heavily graphite work or chalky pastel work but should i use it on watercolors or watercolors that has pencils on?

Do you store each drawing or watercolor in a separate clear plastic foil or do you use tissue paper between drawings?

What would be some best practices? Also what's your favorite storage furniture or folio case?

• Pro

I did a lot of watercolor a few years ago and I store them in portfolio binders with clear plastic sheets. Makes it easy to look at them if I need to while also archiving them. I haven't put fixative on them, but the plastic protects them well enough I think. I keep the binders in a shaded corner in a dry room.

I paper tape an exact sized, with one edge folded over, acid free sheet of paper over my water colors. Then store them in a big studio art portfolio with a handle. It’s one of the things I’m grabbing in case of fire. I live in the California foothills. πŸ”₯ πŸ™€
    The line art is just in paper folders on the shelf. Most of that is stored on an external hard drive which would also be grabbed in case of fire. 😜

• @burvantill I find 90% of my work get stored in the trash lol!

• @NessIllustration @burvantill @DOTTYP Thank you very much. I was actually thinking of plastic sheets in a folder too but my big ones are bigger than an a2, some are a1. At the moment i also keep them in a portfolio with handle. I dream of getting a shelving cabinet with thin big drawers to lay everything nice and neat inside

@dottyp said in Archiving work - How do you store your physical work?:

@burvantill I find 90% of my work get stored in the trash lol!

hahaha ❀ Don't worry, mine too 🐲

• @irina I store mine in Stiffy Bags keeps it safe, padded and protected from dust. Plus a couple of soft and hard portfolio cases.

• @irina Nice to know i am not the only one who wastes a ton of paper -I dont think i have ever seen an A1 portfolio case for sale

I saw a large drawer cabinet in an antique store once. It was glorious and huge. πŸ’²πŸ’²πŸ’²Someday. 😬