Raccoon Fishing WIP

• My girlfriend loves raccoons, and as a combo Mother's Day present/portfolio piece, I've decided to do a graphite pencil drawing of a little girl raccoon fishing. Since my plan is to draw this in my downtime at work over the next two weeks, I felt it would be fun and help me stay on task to document my progress here.

raccon fishing_rough sketch.jpg

Here's the rough sketch/thumbnail from this morning's "waiting for a meeting to actually start" warmup time.

• Looking good @ajillustrates! You thinking of showing off the awesome raccoon tail?

• @Jeremy-Ross Thanks! Definitely want the tail in there. Based on my scribbles, it looks like the tip of it is next to her hip, but I think I want to feature it more. Perhaps over her lap, or I can move the fish bucket so you can see it hanging off the raft.

• Update! The last week was much busier than I expected (plus I think I'm being overly cautious because this is the first time I'm finishing a piece in graphite in forever), but I finally got some time this morning to focus. I've finished lightly sketching in the the main forms/details over an even lighter sketch of the underlying structure. I've been using a dulled HB pencil to keep myself from going too dark and definitive too early. Next step will be going over this darker and sharper to get the line work down.

light-sketch.jpg

• Taking my time and enjoying filling in the linework and detail, which will give me the opportunity to figure out what racoon back legs look like before I get to them 😉

linework_1.jpg

• @ajillustrates this is so cute! Love details can’t wait to see the finished image!

• @Asyas_illos Thank you! I’m aiming to finish it tomorrow (fingers crossed).

• Linework and details are done. Now I just need to lay in the shadows, the water, 6b pencil to reinforce the dark ends, and a little white pencil for highlights.

final-linework.jpg

• Done! This was really fun to make. If I were to make this into a print, I think I'd go in with a digital pencil and get some more of the darker lines in there. But for a purely hand-drawn piece, I'm really happy with it.

Roxie_social.jpg