Cover Page for Children's Book

• ![cover page color finished 6x8.jpg](uploading 100%) cover page color finished 4x.jpeg
    This is the first illustration for a children's book I have been asked to illustrate. The colors on the church, boy & girl and animals were all very specifically requested by the publisher (just sayin'). The rest was pretty much up to me. By following the instruction given by Will & Terry through their awesome courses, I was able to take this from thumbnails to finished product. I am so grateful for the wonderful courses offered through SVS. I am 59 years old with no formal art training and started drawing again about 5 years ago. I am so excited about this project (only 26 more illustrations to go!) and future projects that may come my way and I owe it all to SVS. Thanks again, Will & Terry!

• Great to hear that SVS has helped. I've found it to be a great resource as well :)

• Hi Mr Winkelmans (what a dutch name), Your cover is really a great piece of work. Its a good balanced and well designed composition. The children seem very happy and I can tell that they are into going there. I think its has a religious course? There are a view things that might improve the drawing. First I would get rid of the outline on the clouds. Thats really distracting me. Maybe tone all the black-lines down? I also think that you can play a bit more with dept bij adding more shadow on the church. I hope this helps you, decide for your self if you use my tips. Please let me know if you need any help. Greetings Leontine

• @mwinkelmans said:

5 years ago. I am so excited about this project (only 26 more illustrations to go!) and future projects that may come my way and I owe it all to SVS. Thanks again, Will & Terry!

It"s really cheerful and bright. Btw, I am 58 years old and have had some art schooling but I am not one lick better than you are. Plus, I am not yet a digital artist :-) Great job!

• Hi mwinkelmans!

Nice work! I really like the composition, it was really well planned.
    I agree with Leontine for the linework. Maybe you could try using just a slightly darker color than your local value for the lines (for example lines on the boy shirt could be dark yellow)
    I would suggest also reworking your grass a little so that there is more variation between each blade of grass (size, direction).

Finally, of course it is too late for this book, but maybe for the next one, I read an interview with an illustrator once (don't remember who) who said that as often as possible she kept the cover for last. Because by then you "know" you're character a little more, your color palette, the mood, etc. I just thought it was a great tip and I plan on using it with my future books!

Great work!

• Thanks for the input guys. I've made the changes and it's a definite improvement!cover page color finished 6x8.jpg

• @mwinkelmans Child of God Cover page with text lightened 6x8 for web.jpg
    Oooops! the previous image didn't have ALL of the suggested changes. This one should be better. Sorry guys

Looks like your connection to SVS Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.