Advice on creating your own products and making money with art
Geoffrey Gordon last edited by Geoffrey Gordon
This post was inspired by "What Are You Working on This Year?" podcast. A from what jake said I suffer from idea debt heavily... meaning I have so many ideas and i go nowhere because I don't know where to start, so nothing gets done.
I would really appreciate some solid advice, from the veterans here, please. I have been a member here for about a year. What a great and talented group to be part of. So my concern is the money-making side of art and the direction I would like to go in. I hear a lot of people trying to get an agent or want to work as an illustrator. What if you don't want any of that, what I mean is .... what if you just want to create your own books or artwork to sell. I come from being a web developer for the past 12 years and running my own business so I understand client relationships and the finance part of the business. My dream is to simply create my own stuff and sell it. I have no interest in publishers or other authors. I am rambling so I will get to the point, here is what I am thinking...
- I want to sell artwork on Etsy, Red Bubble, and Society 6.
- I want to write and illustrate my own books, I will self publish or kickstart it.
- I am thinking of selling prints, stickers, custom object art sets.
My medium is inking, I am also good at vector work. Since this is a whole new area I am breaking into, I have just been inking pics of fan art and posting it on Instagram..... I get likes but no follows.
I was thinking
- grow a fan base on Instagram doing fan art
- when it's big enough....open a website and sell art online
I am still going through the tutorials here on svs since I am not so competent digital coloring.... but learning aggressively with clip studio and a pen tablet
After that long into I have the following questions:
- What are the best art product ideas to make money?
- Is it best to do work digital or traditional, I have to the tools to do both?
- Must I develop my ow art or should I do fan art?
- Am I going about this all wrong or any thoughts or advice?
- My business pays the bills so I have time to ease into this field and no pressure to earn, just want to transition out of what I am doing. This means I only have about 3-4 hours a day I use, how should I use my time?
- Should I develop my own style first ?
I am sure I sound like an absolute noob, but any honest feedback would be appreciated