@reddprime probably late in the process but I don’t think your main character should be called Finn if the villain is named Kingfin (although I appreciate the pun).
Posts made by jaepereira
WIP 4 page Comic short story
I’m working on a 4 page autobiographical comic about being a military brat. My dad would go away on missions, and if it was something big he’d tell my mom to “Watch the news.”
Page 1 is establishing the family room and dad saying goodbye while boy watches tv.
Some panel details:
Here is some of page 2:
Page 2 is a few days later as the family is having dinner. The boy asks his mom when dad will be home. I put in an anxious heart rate and then she answers after gaining her composure.
RE: What are you 2019 illustration goals?
It's great this thread has started. Perhaps some communal accountability can happen and keep some of us (ME!) on our toes to deliver.
My main goal this year is to create a high quality portfolio of sequential pages. I'm currently using the Daredevil season 1 hallway fight for my first attempt, practicing layouts and delivering the same story as the show did but using the medium of comics to do it a bit differently.
The Creators for Creators grant has submissions due March 18 so I may try to do that again. I submitted last year.
Ultimately, I would like by the end of the year to have someone pay me for some form of art work, be it an assignment, commission, or anything whatever.
I also want to take/retake at least one SVS course a month, I'd like to complete 2 but time seems to be slipping from me.
RE: SVS Online Portfolio upgrade?
As stated by others, I really appreciate the three of you even brainstorming this idea. As an SVSLearn and forum user, this just goes to show I’m in the right place. Also, the potential to show work to those in decision making positions helps us feel like we’re not screaming into the void hoping for a response to what’s ultimately a whisper.
With that said, here are my critical thoughts about the concept and thank you again for all you do:
- Recommendation: If the gallery is based solely off of upvotes there should be a Founders Pick or a selection for an illustration that may not have received the votes to make the top “(whatever number)” bit is still worthy of recognition.
- Algorithm thoughts: Developers should build in a limit to one piece per user for that general SVS community top pieces. May help broaden the spectrum of styles and pieces/subject matter.
- Tags: Preset tags for different types of work produced I.e. concept art, children’s book illustration, sequential art
- User Portfolios: Limit the scope of the portfolio to a certain number to avoid the gallery rabbit hole built into other sites with unlimited offerings. Users must choose what to present. Say there are 12 images they’ve uploaded and the portfolio is limited to 10. Well then the user (maybe via community feedback/critique) must choose which pieces to show.
- Overall Purpose: would this feature be only for those taking courses on SVSLearn or to any user in the forum? Is the thought to show a representation of the SVSLearn users and the efffectiveness of the courses and program as a whole? Or is it to showcase the work of the community surrounding SVSLearn, the 3 Point podcast and other artists creators who’ve joined the forums?