Mermaid May I Finish This One

• I had a dream after hearing about all the flooding in Canada and I will be heading to a retreat this coming weekend in Halliburton where there has been flooding.

I dream every night -several dreams at a time. So I dreamt of a flooded house and swimming in it (think of a half sunken ship but a house). Swimming with a friend to an island bed /resting place.

In the back of my head a story was developing. It is about a girl whose afraid of her house flooding. (I am no where near flooded areas so I am not afraid.) She is in bed and she has a blanket that has the tail of a mermaid on it. Overnight she dreams of her house flooding but finds some new and delightful friends that want to help her.

Now I have value thumbnails, an assortment including my dream-ish and this story and what came to me as I thumb nailed. I will make some more thumbnails this week.

thumbnail-value mermaid.jpg

• @Heather-Boyd this is a good start of a story. Helping friends can make such a great storytelling ❤
    Looking forward to seeing more or your illustration.
    Just reading you, it makes me think of some dreamy pics of Little Nemo in slumberland, that could be an inspiration...

• @marine I like how my plant (watercolour and pencil crayon turned out) not certain if I can pull it off digitally.

Thanks. I am trying to keep things simple so I will not overwhelm myself and not finish.

• So thumbnail I have chosen to play with is 1B. I really love the intimate space in 2B but I want more of the flood and the discovery in 1B. I still may play around with whether there will be water on the bottom edge or not. That's what I have so far. 🙂

thumbnail-value mermaid chosen.jpg

• Cool! I like the direction your going! Its so unique! I love that there is a story behind it 🙂

• So this morning -sketch over. I have not done any classes on characters -bear with mine lols. Do you like A or B? A having more of the bed above water or B with less bed and more water. Also anything else you can see? I have added a book and a starfish plush as objects in her bedroom -I want to keep things uncluttered. Or any other object suggestions?

I didn't add to show the tail on the mermaid leaning on the bed because I wanted it (no gender right now) to feel more of a comfort and less distraction for the girl to talk with a friend no matter their species. It is also under the bed but on purpose.

Thank you 🙂

Mermaid Rough Sketch.jpg

I additionally added corner wall -as I just completed the "Interiors" portion of CED. I am not sold on it -but it does help clarify the space. What do you think?

Mermaid Rough Sketch new.jpg