Nov 3rd Thurs WiP

• I have been beating my head against the wall on this one. Seems every great idea i come up with is great because it's been done hehe. Here are the thumbnails...the only one i like is from tell tale heart, but it's really similar to an existing cover. And i really wanted to incorporate the Raven

Started doing a couple raven studies for Inktober, and came up with this... a raven with a tell tale heart and what will be the evil vulture eye.

This is the WiP, so going to tweak him more, but happy with the direction it is starting.

• I like it! Keep going!!

• @Thrace-Shirley-Mears Thank you Thrace! I was about to give up 😞

• @Lynn-Larson don't ever give up! If you are happy with the way its going something wonderful will come from it, I know it will!!

• This is a really though provoking concept for November. I can't wait to see what comes from it!

• @Thrace-Shirley-Mears Thanks again 🙂 I just hit a wall for a bit, and when you run into it over and over it gets a bit frustrating. Poe and his Raven have been around so long, trying to find a unique approach is a bit daunting

• @Lynn-Larson true that!!

• @Lynn-Larson Love your raven inkwork! Keep going...I like the pose of his head, the beak and the empty eye...also that only the heart is in red, great focal point. I don't know which direction you are taking with this, but my image in my head is actually that this could be a dead raven, seen from above lying slightly curled on the floorboards all glassy-eyed (dead from a broken heart?) Sorry if that's not what you meant with this, probably reading all these stories of death and unhappy endings is influencing my thoughts! Anyway looks great and glad you have found a good direction to work on 🙂

• @Dulcie Thank you! Yeah, reading Poe has that affect on me too. Like i said in a different thread, i couldn't even finish The Black Cat! I definitely plan on making it monochrome, with just a red heart glowing through the breast. I'll play with it more and see where it goes 🙂

• Everyone's work so far for 3rd Thursday is looking great. I think the boys will have a hard time picking a top 5!

Ace

• @Dulcie said:

@Lynn-Larson Love your raven inkwork! Keep going...I like the pose of his head, the beak and the empty eye...also that only the heart is in red, great focal point. I don't know which direction you are taking with this, but my image in my head is actually that this could be a dead raven, seen from above lying slightly curled on the floorboards all glassy-eyed (dead from a broken heart?) Sorry if that's not what you meant with this, probably reading all these stories of death and unhappy endings is influencing my thoughts! Anyway looks great and glad you have found a good direction to work on 🙂

Or what about top down (or slightly angled) shot of a floor board lifted up/off with the raven curled up inside?

• @mattramsey That would be cool too. I don't think i want to do something dead though. Wasn't that the creepy part of the raven, it just stared and was silent other than saying nevermore? I will definitely think about it, got another day before i'll be able to spend any time on it, so it will be good time to spend playing with it 🙂

• Nice inking on the raven 🙂 Looks like I'm going to have to read what all the hype is about this Mr. Poe.

• @shinjifujioka Thanks Shinji 🙂 Tell Tale Heart and the Raven are my favorites if you couldn't tell lol

• I like your raven but i'm not sure about its pose at the moment. The red blood is very nice there 😃
    can't wait to see more!

• @Naroth-Kean Thank you Naroth 🙂 yeah, the pose is going to be adjusted and some of the form as well, had a bit of a burst of inspiration, hopefully i can remember it until i get home hehe

• @Lynn-Larson Keep going!! 😃

• I think i'm making headway. Feel like it has been done to death though... C&C welcome as always!

• @Lynn-Larson It looks lovely and is well done, but like you said - it's maybe been done to death a little too much to stand out to the guys for critique?

Ace

• This is looking good! There is something about a crow that is riveting - so i think that if you create a mood that pulls us into your image and a crow that captures the attention it can still work even if it has been done many times before - i think you want to avoid an image that reads as "still life with crow" though - for critique i would mention that the crow currently looks off balance to me and because of this the crow has a stuffed animal feel and thus the still-life feel - i think a slightly more natural pose (possibly more horizontal) with the crows legs set apart to balance the bird would give it more life i think - i think if a crow were to be in this stance his tail would have to be held much more horizontally to balance the upright chest - right now there is a slight vulture feel to the pose which is not a bad thing in this case but the balance is off - one other thing to mention might be how the crows feet are holding onto the book - it looks to me like the crow is gripping each side of the book he is standing on - because his legs are close together in the pose it is making the book look to be an inch or two wide - I think this is really looking good and i look forward to seeing your next post!......i included two great reference images from google - one to show the feather patterns on the body and how a crow might be balanced at rest - and the other is an excellent shot of how that beard of feathers on the crow is organized -......i love crows 🙂 - Crow.jpg common_raven_sim_1.jpg -