Hello World

• Hi all,

My name is Simon Lissaman. I'm an illustrator looking to learn more and develop my skills. I have a background in games development (concept art) but have found some success in commercial and technical illustration. I've been drifting a bit lately and I'm having a bit of a creative slump. Anyone have any advice on shaking it off?

0_1533470663500_T-Rex Small.jpg

• Nice work!

Whenever I feel a creative slump I draw shapes. cubes, spheres and pyramids.

Very soon, I'm so sick of drawing basic shapes that I'd rather draw literally anything else.

At which point I draw literally anything else.

And if I don't, at the very least I've spent an hour or so practicing the basics.

• @art-of-b I have never thought about doing that... I usually try and draw cartoon faces until something happens or I get frustrated and go do something else. I will have to try this and see if it helps!

• You could try doing a monthly challenge? Maybe draw 30 animals, or 30 children ? Or if you want a bigger challenge do @Jake-Parker 's draw "100 something". @smceccarelli did 100 children recently and did pretty awesome work! If you share the work here or on social media it gives you accountability (that being said, I started a challenge like that about 2 years ago which was drawing 50 animal characters and never finished it, but I did about 20 and it was still fun and kept the creative juice flowing). What kind of illustration would you like to do? (kid lit, editorial, ?)

• @simon-prime
    Hello! Lovely work ๐Ÿ˜Š When I feel drifty and uncreative I try and do something else that doesnโ€™t expect me to be creative, like walking or cycling or yoga or swimming or go camping or something, and then often Iโ€™ll feel more creative afterwards.

Have you read the artists way? I find that book helpful and in there I think they call it filling the creative well, and the svs guys did a podcast not too long ago about filling your creative bank account that might help too!
    Sending some creative sparkles your way โœจโœจ

• @simon-prime Jake Parker is always talking about the creative bankaccount. In order to be creative you should fill up your "creative bankaccount" with experiences such as reading a book, visit a museum, hike with friends etc. Listen to the 3 Point Perspective podcast. The SVSguys have an episode about the creative bankaccount. Hope this helps. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• @art-of-b I like that one. I forget to practice basics.

• I do the above and:

• I recreate other artists work: scribble, I don't expect a masterpiece or anything, i just do it for myself. it is less stressful that way.
    • i follow a tutorial: either to learn something new or to feel like drawing is a group activity but without having to leave home if it's inconvenient.
    • I draw gestures: less demanding, quick, you can do it anywhere, in the bank or waiting for the bus.
    • break your routine, do something new: i recently went out for a walk at 2 am, took a cheesy photo of myself with my finger on a statue's head, and kinda tried to jump over a bridge instead of going around it, but I chickened out (some may say wised up!) and while at it, found a coin lodged between the bridge's fence bars lol ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

it shouldn't all be about work, find food for your body and soul.

• @Simon-Prime if you want to have some fun ideas to try, you can go for this website by Amy Pikaland. Every time I am out of ideas, I go there and try out the prompts.

• Welcome Simon! I sometimes go back to old work I have done and reinvent it.

@simon-prime Cute! And welcome! =)x

• @doodleworx I do that quite a bit but worry about getting stuck in a loop doing the same piece over and over. I worry it feeds my perfectionist tendencies.

• One thing I've noticed is that art block is closely connected with the mood. When I can't draw anything I understand that I need to do something to cheer up. The worse my mood the less I can draw.