November 3rd Thursday

• @DanetteDraws absolutely!

• SVS OG

Ah, I missed that. I don't want people to stop entering though, keeps me working harder heh

• @Lynn-Larson no, they shouldn't stop entering! I love to see the different take on things, but someone has got to do a better job of knowing who has already won.

• @Thrace-Shirley-Mears I am going to cut them some slack as far a critiquing Jiri more than once. This service is free after all. However, I think it is great for people to voice their opinion. Lee, Jake and Will have a vested interest in keeping the competition fair as this is obviously a vehicle they use to drive traffic to their site. They do not want to give people a reason to go elsewhere.

• @seanwelty i understand all of that and I know that everyone makes mistakes that they learn from.

• Pro SVS OG

They do so much, I know it's disappointing but it is a lot of submissions to keep track of. And you can be critiqued more than once just not win. I'm sure either way, it was not done on purpose if Jiri had won previously.

• @Charlie-Eve-Ryan not according to the rules

• Pro SVS OG

I think they are also trying to pick pieces that are overall strong but that will also benefit the most people in the group as far as the kind of advice they can give on it.

• SVS Team SVS Instructor Pro SVS OG

Hey guys,

I'll start off this reply by saying that I'm glad you are responding. Like Will said, it shows you care. I did a reply after lasts month's winners that was almost this same topic. Every month some people will agree with our selection and others won't. This will happen for your whole career and it will never make much sense. But hopefully I can shed some light on the issues you are discussing here.

In terms of Jiri being critiqued, the rules (as I understand them) state that he can't win. It doesn't state that he can't be critiqued. It may not feel fair, but honestly I don't even look at the names when we are selecting. He just had a piece that worked and I picked it. That's the way it should be. We are trying to pick the best ones (even if some of you don't agree with which ones are best). That's the nature of contests and it would be impossible to be avoided. Our goal is to get you to be DYING to make it to the top half. And then DYING to win one. This is the drive you need. It's also why it's good you have an opinion if you think we picked the wrong ones. I feel this same way every year when the caledcaotts are picked. I don't agree with most of them. Jon Klassen is awesome, but he won the caldecott 1st and second place in the same year! That is totally not "fair" but it's the way it worked out. I'll still enter every time no matter what. It used to get to me more than it does now, I know that for sure.

Regarding the "graphic" pieces that were done for the entry last night. While they worked on a graphic level and I do feel that a few of them would look nice on a shelf, the concepts just didn't resonate for me. The graphic solutions are typically so simple (in terms of technique) that if I started to really critique one, it would totally change the concept. I sort of did that with Suzy's piece because it had interesting elements, but overall the concept wasn't strong enough. I could have easily picked another graphic one and done that one instead. I really liked sean's piece, but when I was doing research for this project I came across that exact idea quite a few times. There just wasn't enough there that seemed original. Again, it was a really nice cover and probably would look great on the shelf. But I'm looking for something that goes beyond the standard icons that are associated with Poe. Now, if he had the same cover and there was clever twist with the shapes in the background, or some other unexpected thing, I would have picked it for sure.

The reason I picked Matt's piece (the portrait) is that I thought it was a done in a way that went beyond a simple painting of his face. It showed a darkness and had great elements that contribute to the feeling of "poe". He used a lot of the things we talk about to go past a typical portrait and gave us a real look into the feeling of the stories.

So, that's how and why I picked the ones I did. Again, you guys are kicking butt and it's REALLY hard for us to decide. Please don't be angry at the selections or if you did or didn't win. Just listen to the underlying reasons we are making the changes to the pieces. That's what it's all about anyway. Like I say in the crit "My solution might not be the best way to go, but I'm trying to stress a certain type of problem solving in dealing with narrative images.

Regarding posting all the images, I think that is a great idea and I will make a new thread today showing all the entries.

Hope that helps some. Feel free to reply or ask any questions you may have. We are here for you guys and want you to the get best work possible out of everything we are doing at SVS. : )

Cheers,
    Lee

• Pro SVS OG

The Rules

" Out of the 5 entries we pick for critique we will award 3 of them with two free classes of their choice. Once someone has won they will not be eligible to have their work critiqued or win the free classes for one year - giving more artists the chance to win."

If he was not a top 3 winner and only in the top 5, he can be crit again.

• @Lee-White it does state in the rules that you can't be critiqued or win for a year.

If thats the case then I stand corrected. I won't let that happen again.

• @Lee-White I am not mad I just want to prove that I read the rules.

• Pro SVS OG

I just posted them, it said the top 3 winners can't win again or be crit, not the other two who made the top 5. So unless he was top 3 he can have his work crit again.

• Pro SVS OG

I have made the top 5 before and got a crit, but I was not a winner in the top 3 so I am still eligible in the future. Either way it is all meant to push us forward. 😃

They should be followed. I'm not sure I totally agree with it though because we WANT the best people submitting. If we slowly remove all the "top 5's" from contention, then they don't have much of a reason to keep submitting. As a matter of fact, many of our winners don't submit at all any more for that reason. I think we should take out any of those rules. Let the best ones win.

I don't want to create a system where "everyone wins a trophy" like in kids sports. I want the good ones to lead and to drive the group. It really does make everyone stronger this way.

I have played competitive sports for years. And in each one there was some guy who was always better than the rest of us. He won every competition that he entered. I'd hate it if he couldn't have entered after winning one. It's dilutes the talent.

• @Charlie-Eve-Ryan I believe he was a top 3 winner

• @Lee-White I agree with that, absolutely! Let them be chosen as the winner again and critique 5 others maybe.

• @Charlie-Eve-Ryan @Thrace-Shirley-Mears Yes he was a top 3 winner.

@Lee-White Not sure if you saw mine above, but I'm wondering about covers for a kid lit audience - the advice you gave was great, but I it's definitely directed at adults (and perhaps YA). What about advice on a middle grade cover? Cover advice for a picture book? Perhaps for an upcoming 3rd Thursday we can do a cover again, but specifically for a younger audience 🙂 (unless someone wants to do an adult one - maybe a subject matter that lends itself to a multitude of ages so it's kept open).

BTW, thank-you for taking the time to respond to us! And for doing the critiques/challenge in the first place. It's very much appreciated.

• @Lee-White the exciting part is not winning but having you guys show us how to get better and I want everyone to have that chance. I have been lucky enough to have both you and Will to draw over one of my illustrations!