November 3rd Thursday

• SVS OG

@Kasey-Snow There should be a link to the facebook page, and it will have a GoToMeeting link to follow 🙂

• @Lynn-Larson Excellent, thank you!

• SVS OG

Yikes! These are all so professional! How do we attend the online critique tonight? I've never done this before.

• SVS OG

OOps, I should have looked up above at the other query. Thanks for asking Kasey Snow!

• Am I missing something? it's less then an hour to go but I can't find any link, in previous 3rd Thursdays the link was up long before it began. Just hope I'm not overlooking it.

• @Damien-Rambacher Its on twitter:

@willterry333 @mrjakeparker Join #3rdThursday tonight at 11pm EST. Join here: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/312658861 pic.twitter.com/GzswSLqhj2

• @Jiří-Kůs Thank you! I never would have looked there.

• SVS Team SVS OG

@Jiří-Kůs Thanks! I never check Twitter.

• @Jiří-Kůs Oh thanks, I was even checking twitter and didn't/don't see it. Maybe my browser isn't refreshing correctly. Hm.

• @Nancy-Gormezano your cover was my favorite of the one I saw last night. I was surprised after @lee-white reviewed what he felt made a great cover design that only one of the covers picked to critique was really strong graphically. The others critiqued looked more like an illustration you would find within a book and not jump out at you when displayed in a store.

• I didn't enter this month but watched last night and I was really disappointed by a couple of things. First, that one of the picks was by someone who has already won and it is stated clearly in the rules that " Once someone has won they will not be eligible to have their work critiqued or win the free classes for one year - giving more artists the chance to win." Second, we didn't even get to see all of the entries. As I have posted before, I wish they would dedicate a page to posting ALL of the entries for us to see! I would really like to be able to see everyone's work because not everyone post their work in the forum!

• SVS OG

The one thing I was thinking, looking through this thread before the critique last night (and remembering other entries posted elsewhere), was just how good all the entries were. There’s really such a variety of solutions to the Poe brief here, each one artistically satisfying in its own way.

The next thought was, if we all collectively carry on like this - yes sometimes struggling like Lee said but in a way that makes us think and push ourselves - just think what we might be producing in a year’s time? And how many good pieces will be in our portfolios…

• @seanwelty said:

@Nancy-Gormezano your cover was my favorite of the one I saw last night. I was surprised after @lee-white reviewed what he felt made a great cover design that only one of the covers picked to critique was really strong graphically. The others critiqued looked more like an illustration you would find within a book and not jump out at you when displayed in a store.

TBH your version hit most/all of the points Lee White mentioned when he talked about looking at book covers on Pintrest.

You had a really strong graphical element and I like the way the tie on Poe turns into this lighted door type structure outlining the cat.

So I think you did really well there and I could definitely see yours in a bookstore.

• @mattramsey That's why I was so confused as to how they select pieces for critique. On one hand you have an instructor reviewing successful covers, yet when they bring up the critique images, they are almost the polar opposite. I was fully expecting to have mine reviewed as @lee-white was speaking. Ultimately I did not decide to participate in this challenge for accolades. I am looking for real world assignments to help me focus my efforts and help me grow as an artist. Because right now I have no clue where I want to take my art. I look forward to seeing where this thing goes. I just hope everyone else can tolerate me on this forum and don't write me off as a jerk.

Thanks for your vote of confidence. At least I know my work resonated with some.

• @seanwelty I thought you would be chosen as well after what Lee said, and Nancy's as well!

• SVS OG

I just wish they would have shown all the entries, not just top half...now i sit and wonder if i did something that it didn't qualify, did the entry not get received, or did it not make the cut.

On a brighter note, Congratulations to the winners! Great work all 😃

• I was a bit disappointed too - for the same reasons mentioned above (for not seeing all the entries, a previous winner getting a critique again, and for some of the winners they chose not pairing with the instruction Lee gave at the beginning for what made strong covers).

I know I was a bit of an outlier doing a 'children's book version' (a middle-grade cover with adapted Poe stories so that they would be suitable for kids, like how the Grimm stories were changed from their original gruesome selves) but I didn't think I'd be that far out in left field, considering most (I think?) everyone here, including instructors, are into children's book illustration. What I would like to know is, would my cover be suitable for a middle grade book? I think it would. I think the strong graphics that Lee was pointing out work mostly well for novels for adults (and even YA), but not for (younger) kid lit. I also did do one of the things in mine that Lee mentioned, by having Poe's face be in the shadow/reflection of the mountains. Maybe it would be beneficial for many here if we got some direction on covers for younger kids? Lee's instruction last night was great, if you're doing a YA or adult novel, but I don't plan on that anytime soon. I'm trying to build my children's book portfolio, not stick in artwork that has a totally different audience.

I'm definitely not as strong in the rendering side of things as some of the winners (or not exact with anatomy for that matter) but I do think mine is strong in other ways and I am surprised actually that Will in particular didn't go for mine, being the only "cute" one in the lot since that's his schtick. Anyway - I hope I'm not coming across as upset, because I'm not, the entries who won are fantastic! (Including many others who didn't win - there's a very talented lot here!) I'm just saying I'm surprised is all.

• SVS OG

I have no issues with Jiri getting critiqued again, i liked the image 🙂 he's good, motivation for me to get better 🙂

• @Lynn-Larson I wouldn't either actually, but it's stated in the rules as @Thrace-Shirley-Mears pointed out. I'm a person of principle and while I do appreciate breaking rules here and there (where appropriate), this kind of rule shouldn't be broken.

• @Lynn-Larson we all know he is really good, but his getting critiqued again took away the chance for someone else who hasn't been critiqued yet.