September 3rd Thursday

• 3RD SEP 15.jpg

Prompt

"As Charly walked deeper into the forest he heard singing and dancing. He peeked out from behind a huge tree and saw..."

Rules

• One entry per person
    • jpeg images only
    • Images should not be larger than 2000 pixels in the long dimension
    • Label your jpeg with your name (ex: joeSmith.jpg)
    • Illustrations that do not fit the category or prompt will not be considered.
    • You grant the right to display your artwork on www.svslearn.com

Submission

• Images must be submitted before 12:00 noon EST September 17th 2015
    • Images must be sent to svslearninfo@gmail.com for consideration
    • In the email please include your Instagram and Twitter username (we want to tag the winners)
    • Posting your image in the forum is a great way to get feedback leading up to the competition

How it works:

The day after each 3rd Thursday competition we will announce a NEW illustration prompt for the following month. Anyone may enter - you don’t need permission - just start creating. We will accept submissions up to 12:00 noon EST (That’s 9:00AM for California) on the 3rd Thursday of the month. At 11:00PM EST we will critique 5 of the best submissions on that same 3rd Thursday in our online GoToMeeting classroom. It is free for anyone to join in and watch us critique each image according to design/composition standards and appropriate storytelling principles and intended category. We will provide the joining information at a later date so check back on our Facebook page for updates: https://www.facebook.com/schoolofvisualstorytelling

Out of the 5 entries we pick for critique we will award 3 of them with two free classes of their choice. Once someone has won they will not be eligible to have their work critiqued or win the free classes for one year - giving more artists the chance to win.

Our goal for this competition is to give you real world assignments that will help you add relevant artwork to your portfolio that will hopefully help you land assignment work from publishers. You will be able to pick up many tips and tricks by attending our monthly critique sessions online for free. Good luck and we’ll look forward to seeing your creations in September!

• Wow, I think you will have really hard time picking winners this month 🙂 So many great illustrations in progress right now.

• Here is my submission for this months 3rd Thursday - thank you all for being so helpful and encouraging!! Kevin Longueil copy 2.jpg

• Such a nice take on this month's prompt, well done!

• And here is my submission.

• Very nice!

• @Kevin-Longueil yours too!!

• sept-3rd-thursday-1000.jpg

Still a lot of work that needs to be done but short on time.

• These are looking awesome!

• Here's mine! There are so many great ones this month, the guys will have their work cut out for them!!

• I am so busy, I have decided to put finish the illustration here now. I love these Contests, they are so much fun, not only that but I learn something with each one. I don't even think a prize is needed. Thanks guys and gals for the support and guidance. Good luck.
    steveyoung.jpg

• Cracks me up every time - great job!

• Here is my submission. Next month I will definitely be submitting a digital piece, but for now, here is my colored pencil work. Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 10.02.38 PM copy.jpg

• Here's mine! I really enjoyed working traditionally this time. I like your colored pencil work too @kimchizerbe!

• @Lynn-Larson LOVE IT!

• Here is my submission. I really enjoyed following all the work processes. 🙂
    I am so impressed by all the fruitful support in this forum. It is competition in it's most positive sense. 🙂
    JanaKusch small.jpg

• I wish that I would have said this yesterday when I posted my entry but I am a person who needs to reflect, I feel truly blessed to be a part of this wonderful community of artists who so willingly give of themselves to help others. Thanks to all of you that help me along the way with my piece I really could not have come as far with out you!

• Here's my take on Charly, with much thanks to all who offered advice. This Forum is just the best -- a group of great people willing to help each other improve their skills. I'm so glad I found it and so happy SVS offers it!MaureenBlaneyFlietner.jpg

• Hi everyone!

All the entries look so awesome thus far! I can't wait for the critiques, good luck all 🙂

Here's mine - Charley the lumberjack is shocked to discover the faun enchanting and reawakening the dormant forest...

EnchantedForest_lowRes.jpg

• great stuffs guys!