Higher Education...

• Masters Degrees is what I am specifically interested in... but, any and all degrees are open for discussion here.

I think I would greatly enjoy being back in an academic environment but other than being able to teach at the collegiate level what are the major benefits of having an MFA? Obviously it's really expensive and certainly time consuming... at this point I am not sure it's worth the cost for me but I don't want to dismiss it if there is a larger benefit that I am missing.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I personally have a BS in Graphic Design

• I have an MFA in Visual Development - what people normally call Concept Art - from the Academy of Arts University in SF. I studied 99% online (they call it cybercampus), and only went to SF a couple of times to meet the faculty and for shows. Honestly, I was not in the least concerned with the difference between MFA and BFA. I had a former advanced degree in Chemistry and I wanted to study art. I could do either a BFA or an MFA (given that I had a degree already, which was recognized), and the MFA was shorter. I took a lot of undergrad courses as part of my curriculum too, and I could see no difference in quality or intensity to the MFA-level courses. So, if you already have academic training in art and design, I am not sure you'd get much more out of an MFA.
    To me it was worth every dollar (and it was indeed very expensive) because I did NOT have art training - so it opened a complete new world and made everything possible (including my career as art director, which started as a direct consequence of what I learned at the AAU in my first five semesters).
    Looking at your work, I think the level is already so high that the impact would be much less than what I experienced. Of course, if you were to produce art at the rhythm the MFA courses force you into (which is a topic for another post), you would get even better - but I think your fundamentals are already there.

• I just have my BFA in Illustration, which I got from the Academy of Art University, too. I was part on and off campus student, I'd commute into the city for classes. I honestly thought to go for MFA, too, but from the training I've received during my undergraduate, I don't think a MFA would matter much more. According to graduate student I had in my advanced classes, there was few differences. I guess if I wanted to teach college level then it'll matter. From what I've learned after art school, I personally need more training in business and marketing then I received at school. At least I got some in comparison to other unversities.

• SVS OG

I had the opportunity to get an MFA, but ended up declining. I needed one in order to teach at BYU. After working for them for 3 semesters, I decided I didn't want to teach for a university, and therefore didn't join the MFA program.

There's a lot of reasons to go get an MFA. But in my 20+ years as working professionally in animation/publishing the only place I've heard of that requires you to have an MFA in order to work for them is a college campus.

Every other place, from publishing to comics, to video games, to animation, just wants to see a portfolio.

Getting an MFA might get you the portfolio you need to get the job you want. If that's what you want, then I would look at schools that have professors who are currently doing the thing you want to do. I would also look at recent graduates from those programs and see their success rate at getting the jobs they want.

If it all adds up, then perhaps the money and time will be worth it.

There's nothing like carving out a few years of your life and devoting them solely to education without the need to make money.

That said, I think there's cheaper and faster ways to build a killer portfolio.

• I’m thinking now whether it’s worth going to graduate school? What can you advise me? I really love studying and I love science, but I do not have any writing skills that help in working with texts. When I studied at the magistracy, I often used the premium essay writing service, because I could not write my essay beautifully and clearly. What to do, friends?

• Advice you to try yourself. I believe it is important to develop your skills and abilities. If things are extremely bad, then the only way out is really writing services. If this option is inevitable, then here https://paidpaper.net/buy-best-college-research-paper/ picked up excellent reviews on such assistants.

• I went to artschool in my highschool time which was basically highschool + art with the majority of the hours being art. I don't have higher education in it because i was unable to pay for all that and the government of the country i grew up in doesn't like helping people. Also the parttime job i did at the time didn't cover it either. So i ended up working in a store for several years until i decided to do it myself( in my off time) and learned from books, youtube (internet in general) and went to a lot of museums. SVS is the newest step i have taken to hone my skills to hopefully do what i love as a job in the near future. So these are big times for me XD

Would i do higher education? Yes, when i was younger and had no responsibilities.
    Would i do it now? No, unless a millionaire funds it and pays for all my other bills too 😛

• There are many kinds of education in society and people choose that they are interested in them. Every kind of education is very important for people and it is not wasted. Sometimes, people negative think about education. No, never it is a great thing for them. Education is tough but never wasted and here is many students who face problems in education but when they face it so they take help with online agencies who provide the do my assignment at cheap prices. This is a good way for the students.

• Nowadays I think It's necessary to have higher education!!

• I am an educator and in my field, the only way to get meaningful increases in salary is to get advanced degrees. As the sole breadwinner in my family. I have done this as much as possible. Currently, I am working on my doctorate.

That being said, I think choosing to get a higher degree is a highly personal one. You need to take stock as to what kind of learner you are and what kind of financial/career goals you have. Does your field reward an advanced degree with an increase in salary? Does a degree open up opportunities such as teaching at a university, etc? Do you like to learn? Are you the kind of person who will take initiative and try to learn even if the subject and classes are boring and the delivery is less than stellar? All those are questions you should seek to answer before seeking a higher degree.

There are some aspects of my job that I have had to learn on my own through the school of hard knocks, but there are others that I was taught at the university. I am sure that is the case with all degrees and all fields. I don't think a degree is really necessary unless it is needed for certification of some sort or it is the only pathway to obtain that kind of specialized knowledge. Many people, who are driven to learn, teach themselves the skills and knowledge through the abundant resources available in books, videos, and online classes and forums like these. It is really a matter of do you want to learn and grow.

I will also say that having at least one degree shows to yourself that you can do it. Whatever "it "is. You have persevered through a struggle that is often tedious and nerve-wracking and frustrating. You have worked with completely incompetent people and survived. You have learned how to play the game. All of these are necessary life skills and having a degree is one measure of showing that you have them. I think that is why often a job requires a college degree but doesn't specify which one.

Wow. I really went on a rant on this one. I guess the four hours of homework I just did may have influenced me. Posting under the influence. hehe.

• SVS OG

@Athenahoros-P that’s not quite true in the art business tho. If you’re a freelance illustrator, a masters won’t exactly do much.

• @Athenahoros-P
    It is important but not necessary. I believe that all the necessary skills can be obtained outside the university. Just like you can graduate from a university and not have any knowledge. The grading system is a little primitive, for example, best writing services can help you write an essay, and provide you with a higher grade.