April 3rd Thursday - Lucy the robomechanic

• Hi, recently I found out that I kinda suck in character designs, so I wanted to do rather finished painting of my character first. I went for kinda tough Lucy 🙂 What do you think? Is the character interesting enough? Are there some issues regarding construction/ anatomy, design, etc. ? Thanks!
    I used this reference for the pose: http://pyjama-cake.deviantart.com/art/FEMALE-Weapon-9-sword-482668988RavenLucy.jpg

edit: I added some robot to the background to make it more interesting 🙂

• Your Lucy looks very cool and collected, I like the design of her outfit...she looks tough and reminds me of a character that would be in a videogame 🙂

Anatomy-wise her right foot looks a little odd to me, as if it is the left foot placed on the right leg, or the heel is not quite on the ground.. (though the shoes themselves are great, personally I find shoes really tricky to draw properly!) Lovely hands too.

But what I really want to know, is more about who you think Lucy is and what her story is in the piece you're going to create...eg what is her big problem? She looks like she can defend herself and fix a robot... But at the moment, what is she thinking? Is this her happy face or is she currently grumpy because of xyz? Or is she just bored because there's nothing to fix right now? If you could tell us more of the story, then we can more easily help you with how to make that come across in her character 🙂

• @Jiří-Kůs Hey Jiri looking good - I think that first drawing the figure without the clothes helps with anatomy - mainly her right shoulder seems floating away from her body a bit - if you cut and paste it to our right it will look more natural - her pose is telling us that most of her weight is on her right leg but the foot is raised and her lower leg does not bend back slightly the way it would and does in the reference - the other thing I will mention (remember I'm not a pro these are just opinions ) is her waist is very small and her body seems flat because of it - I think if you increase the width of her hips on her left (our right) side and give a little swell to her belly below the navel she will look more believable - cool tattoos and nice shoes! - one last thing I think is that her sleeve seems pulled up impossibly high to show the tattoos - my eye keeps going back to that bunched up sleeve and getting stuck there wondering about it - lot of great stuff going on though - has a real "post-apocalyptia" feel to it

• I really like the feel of this so far! I agree with the comments on the shoes, and i know they never go on right lol. I wonder if she would be better with a 3/4 profile? Her head seems turned awfully far, unless you have an explosion or something going off in that direction for her to be turning so much while walking the other way. I really love the color palette, and your clothes rock!

• @Kevin-Longueil @Dulcie @Lyn
    Thanks for a great feedback!
    I think i am done with the character illustrationRavenLucy4.jpg

Now I have to decide if I want to explore the cute version too or move on to the 3rd thursday illustration. I still think she is way too tough for the idea I had in mind 🙂

• I dont know If I am picking so hard scenes for myself or just suck that hard. But I was soo struggling with the robot design and the mechanic design before that...and now i am struggling hard with the perspective and putting it all together... sigh... I dont know If I can make it for the thursday...but well... I just wanna make a portfolio piece, so it doesnt really matter.
    Anyway, the story is simple... there is a little girl and she steals a remote that controlls a robot...and she breaks the robot so she has to visit a Lucy to fix the robot. And Lucy instantly knows whats wrong, picks up a wrench and.. we know the ending 🙂
    I hope I can make the clear that the robot does not belong to her by adding some children drawings and stickers on it...
    1_1460910671746_lucy_small.jpg 0_1460910671737_robo_small.jpg

• @Jiří-Kůs I'm right there with you! Fleshing out what's in my head is where I really struggle. I know what I want to draw; getting it out there is a whole other challenge. Keep working; you're doing great!

• I would think about cropping out the feet and some of the legs of the robot, if they are causing you a big issue. The real action is where she is fixing him.

• @Russ-Van-Dine Well, that was not my full scene yet... this is what I have in mind.. 0_1460929519062_lucyCSP.jpg

• @Jiří-Kůs Oh it's great that you're putting them in Lucy's workshop, that really helps to tell the story. Perhaps working on the gesture of the little girl would help to explain that the robot is hers and she's really worried about it, like maybe she's on her knees with her hand on his shoulder, looking worried or crying even.

Your robot design is great and I'm sure you will make a great piece out of this, just got to keep going 🙂

• @Jiří-Kůs The sketch looks really cool, and this can become a great piece! You have placed your vanishing points quite close and this makes it for a fish-eye kind of look. I quite like it actually (it adds drama), but you will get some perspective "weirdness" probably when you refine it - I mean deformations in the objects close to the viewer. That said, I think adding something in the foreground would help the composition. It will be a good portfolio piece in any case!

• So, I have finished the sketch and now I am trying to separate the foreground and background. The girls head is too big compared with the Lucy, but I will fix that in a later phase I guess. I usually come back to these things when I am happy with the general look and merge the layers to paint over. Anyway. I always liked how people use gradients so I tried it myself...and I really like how it looks 😃 What you think? I guess I will keep it in this color range and just bring some more colours to the focal point. I am really afraid about the light and I am sooo not sure what to do with it... I will have to think about it tomorrow 🙂
    0_1461016968957_LucysWorkshop.jpg

• @Jiří-Kůs Love the gradient! Are you going to ink it, like in a comic book? It would actually look quite cool with a graphic treatment...

• @smceccarelli Well thank you very much now I have a dilemma 😃 I have to admit I really like art by Sergi Brosa or Josan Gonzalez, but my inks just tend to suck so I get used to cover my lineart with paint. Maybe I should do two version to see if I am not on a wrong path 😃

• This is so amazing! I love the tones and colors. I think it would look great as is with some shadows and inking. I can't wait to see it finished!

• Really nice. The right foot (or my left) seems funny a bit and something with the waist but overall, I think it's awesome.

• I decided to stick to the plan, and maybe try to ink it some other time. At this stage I guess I will start to paint over, add details, and fix stuff 0_1461103933659_LucysWorkshop4.jpg

• Love it, cool!

• Well, still not finished...details details details...!
    I should learn to not care about details...
    0_1461275248731_LucysWorkshop6.jpg

• Looks awesome so far, good work.