3rd Thursday WIP - 2 questions!!!

• Hi everyone!

I started working on this month 3rd Thursday this weekend and I wanted to share my sketches/process with you for critiques/comments.

My idea for this month is that when Lucy was a kid, she received a magic toolbox from her grandfather, who told her that when in need, she would simply have to close her eyes and think really hard about what she need and it would magically appear. I would like to make a small illustration (spot) of this as a "set up" for my illustration. It would simply show old wrinkly hands handing a small wooden chest to a little girl. Here are my thumbnails for this :

Lucy - Thumbnails 1.jpg

Then, I thought I could use this "set up" to make my illustration for this month 3rd Thursday, and maybe do another illustration or two with the background story showing Lucy using the box in different situations to put in my portfolio (I remember @lee-white saying it was good to have at least 3 illustrations of the same "story" in our portfolio).

For this month, the illustration will show Lucy using her magic toolbox to rescue a bear trapped in a bear-trap. I did several thumbnails, and then did 3 comp sketches as @lee-white suggested in the last critique session to have feedback and see which one I should push further.

Lucy - Thumbnails 2.jpg

The first two are similar, showing Lucy using "plyers" to try to open the trap.
    - The first one point-of-view is from inside a bear den, showing three terrified little cubs inside the den looking out.
    - For the second one I tried using kind of a 3-point perspective to increase drama but I am not sure my perspective works...
    - The third one shows Lucy concentrating on her magic tool box to make the "tool" she needs appear. This one really needs to be accompanied by the first set-up image to work.

Any comment would be appreciated! 🙂

• Wow, I really like the origin story idea, or the panels leading up to the spot illustration.
    As for the main illustration itself, I think the second idea is the most visually clear.
    Can't wait to see the final version of this one!

• The 2nd image on the top is my favorite as well. great tilt to the background and the characters are framed really nice. Also love the cool silhouette of the little animals.

• The second one is the best but you might want to move Lucy a little to the left (this may mean you have to move the big bear as well).

• Hey there @nowayme .

Great concept. First, the spots. I like seeing the girls reaction to the gift over just seeing hands (unless you are totally awesome at hands - which is really hard).

The last images with the bear in a trap. Of the three I like the cubs in the foreground. But you might consider this tip I remember @lee_white making in one of his classes. He said to consider illustrating either before or after the 'action'. So with this scene you might see the 'after' with the bear free from the trap while the little girl holds the magic tool. Just a suggestion. (Honestly it's hard to look at a poor bear it such agony.)

• Lucy.jpg

Here is my updated sketch! #2 was my favorite as well, so it was an easy pick!

@katrina-fowler Thanks for the comments! Illustrating the "after" would have been a good idea also. However I wanted to try and illustrate a tensed, "action" moment. I'll make sure we see that the trap is opening and that the bear will soon be free! And her magic tool box also contains a first aid kit to patch up the bear afterward!

Any comment/critique still more than welcome!

• @NoWayMe Hey Noemie - this looks great! - one thing about your thumbnail that is working better for me is that it is closer to the rule of thirds idea - the girl and the bear are in almost ideal positions in the thumbnail but seem too centered in this version - there was more of a flow in the thumbnail for me - I think with the main characters centered it seems more static - I think if in the thumbnail version you moved the bear and Lucy just a tiny bit to the left it would be perfect - just ideas 🙂 ........it really does look great - look forward to seeing where the goes!

• @Kevin-Longueil Great point! I'll try to fix that and go back toward the "third" rule in my next step!

• This is looking great! I love the trees and perspective in this version!

• @Devin-Sailors Thanks! 🙂

• Lucy setup 2.jpg

Here is a value sketch of my "set-up" image! Any thoughts ?!

Thanks!

• Love your composition where she is wearing green pants

• I like that she's wearing the key to the toolbox as a necklace in the set-up image!

• Here is where I am at with this image! Any thoughts on the colors choices ? Anything I should correct/modify ? Thanks!

Lucy setup 4.jpg

• Love this! I like the magic sparkles sneaking out of the box! I would change the color of her headband. it matches the key and the gold on the box, which are important, and it pulls my eye to it. Something closer to the color of her shirt maybe?

• @Lynn-Larson Great point Lynn! I'll change that!

• Here is the progress on the official 3rd thursday piece, I just did a rough color/value test and I wanted to have your opinion on it!

Thanks! Lucy 2.jpg

• I don't have any particular advice but wanted to say I really like the way your values run from dark to light with all the different shades of green, very atmospheric! I also love the composition with the trees funnelling upwards, you do get the feeling of being in a tight-knit forest which is great.

• @Dulcie Thanks Dulcie!