Feb 3rd Thurs WiP

• SVS OG

@shinjifujioka Thank you! The story in my mind was a man rented the boat to propose to his girlfriend, and the whale fell in love with the song from the lighthouse, well, he thought it was a good idea too hehe

• SVS OG

@Lynn-Larson I really love your whale - it is very cute and really works so nicely in this story. Once you added in that little sail boat he is offering to the light house I was totally sold on this piece. That is just so charming!

• SVS OG

@Rich-Green awww -blush- Thank you so much Rich 🙂

• @Lynn-Larson what a beautiful piece you have created this month! I love everything about it, especially the paint job, very nice and the whale is adorable!! I believe you have nailed it!!!

• SVS OG

@Lynn-Larson I really like the quality of painting here - particularly the colour choices for the light glinting off the lighthouse, with the warm and cool sides, the textured quality etc. I remember that colour choice/lighting was one of the things you were going to look at after last month's 3rd Thurs, and I think the work is paying off 🙂

• SVS OG

@Thrace Thank you dear!!

@Dulcie Thank you! I really did pay attention to pulling cools and warms into it, so i hope it works!

• @Lynn-Larson, this is so SO beautiful! You should be proud of this piece, well done!

I think you've managed to make it look more 'polished', as opposed to last month's where I mentioned it looked unfinished. The only thing I would've switched around is, the foreground grassy shore area looks a bit mushy and the back mountains are super crisp. I would've swapped this around - generally the further back something is the less defined it should be.

Wow I just love the whale and his spouting heart so much! I just want to hug him!

One thing I wanted to point out - have you noticed that you'd used this colour palette a number of times? They must be your favourite colours! I don't blame you, I love them myself (especially the turquoise/seafoam greens I'm a fan of). I'd love to see you do something for your next piece that's the complete opposite - a harsher, dynamic (darker?) colour scheme. Definitely would love to see a warm palette. I know your last month's one was a warm one too.

• @Lynn-Larson Such a great idea! Not sure how I missed it but this is the first time I'm seeing it.
    A lot of beautiful elements on this--I'm thinking there is a strong chance that the judges will pick this one as one of the critiques.

• SVS OG

@DanetteDraws Thank you! I am always drawn to these colors! This one actually started as a night piece in my head, but most of mine seem to be night time as well. One challenge at a time i guess! I think this is the first one i've done as daytime that looks good to me hehe.

@mattramsey Thank you too! I'm very curious to see how it turns out O.o and nervous as hell!

• SVS OG

I followed through with the critique and updated my image. I am much happier with it now!! I used long and creative strings of curses on that fog though lol!

@Lee-White Thank you so much for the critique! 3rd Thursdays are such a great way to stay motivated and produce something at least once a month! You gave me hope and reassurance that i'm not pursuing art in vain 🙂

• This is a really great piece!

The only small thing I notice is that the shadows of the whale and that of the lighthouse don't go in the same direction. Also, there's no shadow under one of the mountain

I did a very rough (without a tablet, just with my mac trackpad...) drawover to show what I mean (my shadows are way too dark, it's just to show the direction)

Sans titre-1.jpg

I went back to look at some of your previous 3rd Thursday submission and I wanted to say that you improved dramatically! I would definitely buy I book with this illustration in it! Great work!

• @Lynn-Larson Really beautiful Lynn! I am so glad that you are feeling more motivated because your work is wonderful!!

• Pro SVS OG

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your update, such a sweet image

• SVS OG

@NoWayMe Thank you! I totally missed the mountain reflection! Just like i missed the lighthouse reflection in the original lol. It's a foggy day, so the whale won't have much more of a shadow. I need to go in and lighten the shadow of the lighthouse to balance it better, and shift it a bit 🙂

@Thrace Thank you so much 🙂

@imrush Thank you too! I felt that since Lee took the time to give me a critique, the least i could do is follow up with it hehe