February 3rd Thursday 2016

• 3rdFeb2016.jpg

Prompt:

"Love."

Rules:

• One entry per person
    • jpeg images only
    • Images should not be larger than 2000 pixels in the long dimension
    • LABEL YOUR JPEG WITH YOUR NAME (ex: joeSmith.jpg)
    • Illustrations that do not fit the category or prompt will not be considered.
    • You grant the right to display your artwork on www.svslearn.com

Submission:

• Images must be submitted before 12:00 noon EST February 18th 2016
    • Images must be sent to svslearninfo@gmail.com for consideration
    • In the email please include your Instagram and Twitter username (we want to tag the winners)
    • Posting your image in the forum is a great way to get feedback leading up to the competition

How it works:

The day after each 3rd Thursday competition we will announce a NEW illustration prompt for the following month. Anyone may enter - you don’t need permission - just start creating. We will accept submissions up to 12:00 noon EST (That’s 9:00AM for California) on the 3rd Thursday of the month. At 11:00PM EST we will critique 5 of the best submissions on that same 3rd Thursday in our online GoToMeeting classroom. It is free for anyone to join in and watch us critique each image according to design/composition standards and appropriate storytelling principles and intended category. We will provide the joining information at a later date so check back on our Facebook page for updates: https://www.facebook.com/schoolofvisualstorytelling

Out of the 5 entries we pick for critique we will award 3 of them with two free classes of their choice. Once someone has won they will not be eligible to have their work critiqued or win the free classes for one year - giving more artists the chance to win.

Our goal for this competition is to give you real world assignments that will help you add relevant artwork to your portfolio that will hopefully help you land assignment work from publishers. You will be able to pick up many tips and tricks by attending our monthly critique sessions online for free. Good luck and we’ll look forward to seeing your creations in September!

Watch the critiques here:

https://youtu.be/48smPrY0TF8

Lydia Mueller is this Month's winner:

LydiaMueller.jpg

• Hi @Aaron,

In January 3rd Thursday i did read: "Out of the 5 entries we pick for critique we will award 3 of them with two free classes of their choice."

Now I see only one winner announced.

How it works?

• @sergio The rules have changed, but they must have forgotten to update it. Its now 1 winner, but they critiqued 6 thursday. Lee was supposed to change the image hehe

• @Lynn-Larson Thanks . I did suppose a change but as ancient masters did advise I try to avoid assumptions. It's always better to ask -if you have the opportunity- and get the correct answer.

• Just to confirm/clarify, people that were critique still can't be critiqued for a year ? Or as this rule changed too ? (I know there was discussion about changing it, and that January was special, but I am not sure if it has changed for good or not)

I will still participate even if I can't be critiqued for a year, but I was wondering! Maybe it was addressed in the thread "New Format" but I couldn't find it.

Thanks again for doing this, we can't stress enough how awesome it is!

• @NoWayMe Actually people who have been critiqued can be critiqued again. But people have won can't win until the new year.

• So is this supposed to be a children's book illustration specifically? Or just an illustration of however we want to take the prompt?

• @Kasey-Snow It doesn't have to be geared toward children's books. Pretty much however you interpret the prompt.

• Gear the work towards where you want to go in your career. Concept art, Children's books, editorial, etc. It's all fair game.

Both Jake and I have done extensive work in concept art and publishing, so I'd love to see anything you got!

The big thing to remember with a concept like love is that you need to go beyond the obvious in terms of what your concept is. Love is such a cliche' that doing the standard images of two people in love won't cut it. There has to be something unique about either what you are showing, or how you are showing it. Think about all aspects of love, not just romantic love. You can "love" your vintage car collection. Love is irrational, love can be jealous, love can be so many things other than a sappy image. Now, a sappy image can work too, but you really need to craft it well. The easy way to check yourself here is to ask "Has this been done before" and if so, how often. If I can walk into a grocery store and pic up something similar in the card isle, you probably need to do some more sketchin'.

Hope that makes sense. : )

Let me know if there are any questions at all.

• Just submitted my entry. I can't wait to see all the entries for this month!!!thraceMears.jpg

• Alfred - 3rd Thursday - NGLandry 14.jpg
    My submission for this month!
    Where my signature is is where the text is going to be.

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This turned out so great! I really like your color scheme...especially the purples. Your little white mouse is precious.

• I'm still holding mine a secret. It's less about a portfolio piece and more of a "funny" thing for all the SVSers and judges. We'll all see it tonight when they scroll through...

• Here's my entry... Leontine gaasenbeek-love mid.jpg

• Here is my entry 🙂
    svs Love_kris knight.jpg

• Here is mine! Good Luck everyone. Looking forward to seeing them all tongiht. ChipValecek.jpg

• Here is my entry..

dulcie-mascord.jpg

• So many fun entries! I wish I could have participated this month.

• So many talented entries posted above, thank you for sharing, love seeing them all.

puppylove72.jpg