Kasey's December 3rd Thursday Attempt

• So, I'm off to a bit of a late start with this. I had another design for the contest I was working on, but I hated it after a while so am starting fresh. I've been studying birds a lot trying to work on this project involving gryphons, so I've had them on the brain. Plus, who doesn't love magical creatures and Santa. Hopefully no one else has had this idea yet, I haven't had a chance to look through all of the entries to see what's up around here. Busy times.

Dec2015.PNG

I will be working on this and posting as I go in the next few days. I must love punishment to start over this close to the deadline, but oh well. e____e

• So as I was sketching, I of course came up with another idea (d'oh). Instead of just a flock of gryphons, why wouldn't santa ask each of the flying magical creatures to lend their abilities? Pegasus, gryphon, dragon, and of course Pheonix to light the way.

dec20152.PNG dec20153.PNG

...I'm pretty sure the first thumbnail is busy and hard to read. But that second one I kind of like. But is it still too much going on/too hard to read?

• I personally like the first one (the gryphon in the doorway) best.

• I think it's a little over the top, any one of those creatures would work. Initially as it does in the first one with your gryphon. The dragon reads really well in the second, and I don't think Santa would need a lantern with a Phoenix in the lead... he would need heat protection.

I vote 2nd thumb, but only with the dragon...

• @Bobby-Aquitania Haha, yeah, the lantern was more to balance the light distribution since it was so strong on the left side. That second thumb just has too much going on I think. Though I do like to draw dragons, so it's tempting, hehe.

@Damien-Rambacher I am definitely leaning toward the first thumbnail myself. Just liked the values and concept of that last one so was torn a bit.

• I like 1 and 2, but the 2nd one does have more opportunity for storytelling. There's a clear setting and more space for Santa's Workshop to be shown. But if you can get across the idea that it's Santa on Christmas Eve in #1 then you'll be good.

• @gimmehummus Thanks. I like the original thumbnail the best too I think now that I've slept on it, but I think you're right about the story telling aspect of the second. Maybe if I stick a north pole thing in the background of the first it'll help. Or maybe do some elves running around filling up the sleigh in the shadows of the foreground.

• I like the instant read of the gryphon in the door way.

• This is my favorite one with its simplicity.

• @Chris-Perry I think you're right, thanks.

Trying to figure out the colors and lighting now. Leaning toward a warm yellow/orange with touches of muted purpley blues, but not sure yet.

Dec2015.1.PNG

• @Kasey-Snow have you ever thought of making the walls into glass? Putting a balcony there and dropping the background down to make this seem like it's an aerie somewhere in the North Pole, instead of the inside of an alleyway, or stable... not sure where Santa is standing. If you keep the dark walls, I would go in, and cut out a quarter inch on either side. Too much real-estate, to something not as important, that is too say such heavy shadow. It would also make your gryphon look bigger... either way it's coming along great, keep going dude!
    1450227676587-dec2015.1.jpg

• Ran into a lot of trouble getting this "finished" yesterday/this morning due to a combination of personal obligations and technical difficulties, so it's not really to the level of completion that I would like...but I went ahead and submitted it anyway. I actually worked on it a little more after submitting it and like this newer version better but I don't know if it will go through since it's now 40 minutes past the deadline. shrug Oh well. I really wish I would've had this idea sooner so it wouldn't have been so rushed. I just find that I have a hard time making up my mind...but maybe I should've just gone with the original idea I made weeks ago if for no other reason than to have something more complete.

Dec2015.3.PNG

Oh, and thanks for the suggestion Bobby. I chose to keep the dark silhouette because I didn't want to lose the strong contrast elements...and painting transparent things is not my strong suit right now, though it is something I'm working on. :)

• That is just awesome, really well done!

• What a great mood, and I love your textures and lighting. Good job (especially in only a few days)!

• @Charlie-Eve-Ryan @Timbdsf Thank you both very much, I'm trying not to look at it too much because I see so many ways that it could be better, but I really do appreciate that some people find it looks acceptable. That helps me to be more okay with submitting it. :)