FEED BACK!! Katrina's WIP Santa 3rd Thurs

• So I'm a painter at heart and was inspired by Bucci's latest class. Here in my WIP for the 3rd thrusday prompt. It's Santa riding a dragon. Dragon rider2.1.jpg
    I'm trying to keep it 'painterly' like my original works like this:
    pinkNblue Girl_KatrinaFowler.jpg

• I Really like your style. I just watched the Bucci video too and attempted to do what he was doing while I watched with blah results. Anyway, I like everything about this piece but I had to take a minute to figure out what was going on with the dragons head. I think I'd want to add just a bit more definition in that area. and warm and brighten up the fire a little . It doesn't quite read as fire to me yet.

• @Katrina-Fowler You had the same idea as me! (Santa's sleigh strapped onto a dragon's back haha)

Love your loose style - but I agree with @Jonathon-B that it's too hard to make out what's happening. Also - is the dragon missing its tail and wings?

One final piece of advice - I think the dragon should be a different colour. Green maybe to complement Santa. With the dragon and Santa both being red there's no focal point.

Santa is my favourite - lookit his cute fluffy beard!!! I just wanna pinch his tiny cheeks.

• now that look very cool!

• @Jonathon-B said:

I Really like your style. I just watched the Bucci video too and attempted to do what he was doing while I watched with blah results. Anyway, I like everything about this piece but I had to take a minute to figure out what was going on with the dragons head. I think I'd want to add just a bit more definition in that area. and warm and brighten up the fire a little . It doesn't quite read as fire to me yet.

I agree the whole thing was just a big color 'sketch'. I reworked the head and will change the fire. Thanks for the comment!

• @DanetteDraws said:

@Katrina-Fowler You had the same idea as me! (Santa's sleigh strapped onto a dragon's back haha)

Love your loose style - but I agree with @Jonathon-B that it's too hard to make out what's happening. Also - is the dragon missing its tail and wings?

One final piece of advice - I think the dragon should be a different colour. Green maybe to complement Santa. With the dragon and Santa both being red there's no focal point.

Santa is my favourite - lookit his cute fluffy beard!!! I just wanna pinch his tiny cheeks.

Well even if we do the same concept I bet ours will be completely different! LOL I look forward to seeing yours. I tried to change the dragon to a different color but it just looked 'funny' I tried to give the dragon a more orange/purple texture and Santa a more pure redish blue tint. Oh well it's still in process.

Thank you for commenting! Love that!

• @Naroth-Kean said:

now that look very cool!

HaHa! You are awesome!

• Still working on this and putting it through it's paces. Think I'll lighten up the back ground... perhaps a snowy valley or something. I'm liking the dragon a bit better... I've got to put the fire back in. I think Santa needs his arms out holding some reigns - maybe. Anywho. I'm enjoying being so loose with the 'painting'.

Dragon rider3.jpg

• I think I nee to try one with acrylic sometime too. I'm m ore trained in that area too, than I am in others.

• It is a beautiful piece @Katrina-Fowler, it's developed so much and I think just that extra bit of definition makes all the difference. I really like the style and textures you've worked in there! Really pretty (and dragons, woohoo! always a good choice)

• This is going to sound funny, but I'm impressed with your ability to make the dragon's head and mid-section have "girth" to them with the individual strokes. Looking good so far!

• I had thought about a dragon wasn't sure how well it would work but this is awsome, love the colors.

• I love dragons! Lovely piece Katrina!

• The re-work is much improved! One suggestion I have is to put a little more solid color the eye of the dragon, similar to Santa's beard, which would maybe highlight that as an eye more. It took me a second to see the eye and then the position of the head. That might have just been me : ). Lots of very cool texture in your image. I think with just a little more refinement it will be great. Your work is really terrific.

• Looking good. Like I said before I love the style and all the texture is really appealing to me.

• It's NOT finished but OMG! This is a bit like pulling teeth! Need some encouragement here. On right track? Does it 'read' well with the composition? Color? Too much texture?

Dragon rider8.jpg

• I am a huge admirer of your earlier version in red..this one is beautiful too but I think you can make it better. This is what I would work on:

• the dragon’s body language doesn’t quite match the background - he is turning his head round away from the village, looking out of the picture, like maybe he is going to fly in the other direction. It might be better to have the village below on the other side (or even flip the background horizontally), so you could imagine maybe he is going to bank towards it and land somewhere.

• focus. I’m not sure if the dragon is accenting the lovely landscape, or if the landscape is complementing the dragon. At the moment the emphasis feels about 50/50. I think you need to pick which one - personally I would pick the dragon and crop in a little more so you can see him better.

• shapes. I love the wonderful oval curve the dragon’s spine and neck is drawing in the air. If that oval shape could be echoed somewhere it would be really nice.

• maybe if there were more green tones in the light or background, or more moonlight tones on the dragon, it would harmonise the colour a bit more.

Sorry if this is long-winded and loads of critique, it’s not meant in a bad way because I really love your dragon and the style you’ve got going on - can see the Marco Bucci influence for sure! And obviously, feel free to ignore if you don’t agree…

• @Katrina-Fowler I totally agree with Dulcie. I loved loved the first version with the dragon in red!! I would just use that one and make it larger on your new background which I love too by the way, beautiful! The version of the dragon you have on there now looks like a cut out to me add on and not part of the painting. But, really great job on the two separate pieces!!

• @Dulcie said:

I am a huge admirer of your earlier version in red..this one is beautiful too but I think you can make it better. This is what I would work on:

• the dragon’s body language doesn’t quite match the background - he is turning his head round away from the village, looking out of the picture, like maybe he is going to fly in the other direction. It might be better to have the village below on the other side (or even flip the background horizontally), so you could imagine maybe he is going to bank towards it and land somewhere.

• focus. I’m not sure if the dragon is accenting the lovely landscape, or if the landscape is complementing the dragon. At the moment the emphasis feels about 50/50. I think you need to pick which one - personally I would pick the dragon and crop in a little more so you can see him better.

• shapes. I love the wonderful oval curve the dragon’s spine and neck is drawing in the air. If that oval shape could be echoed somewhere it would be really nice.

• maybe if there were more green tones in the light or background, or more moonlight tones on the dragon, it would harmonise the colour a bit more.

Sorry if this is long-winded and loads of critique, it’s not meant in a bad way because I really love your dragon and the style you’ve got going on - can see the Marco Bucci influence for sure! And obviously, feel free to ignore if you don’t agree…

Thank you for the feed back!!!!!!!!! I too liked the red dragon as well and wasn't sure the green one was working so I needed some extra eyes. I only added the trees and village because I thought the dragon and Santa by themselves was too 'lonely'... And it was a big cut and paste deal before I put a bunch of time into trying to make it work. So I think I'm going to go back to my red dragon and see if I can work in the village. Thank you again!

• @Thrace-Shirley-Mears said:

@Katrina-Fowler I totally agree with Dulcie. I loved loved the first version with the dragon in red!! I would just use that one and make it larger on your new background which I love too by the way, beautiful! The version of the dragon you have on there now looks like a cut out to me add on and not part of the painting. But, really great job on the two separate pieces!!

Thank you for the feed back. I'm going to go back to the red and try to work in the new back ground. It was a cut and paste just to see if it worked and I don't think it did. Thanks again!

Looks like your connection to SVS Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.