Dec 3rd Thur--couple concepts

• really like those characters in reindeer however I personally think that the large creature is more exciting subject. Can't wait to see more.

• The manly elves faces made me think of using current politicians as the reindeer! I vote the monster maybe add another cute monster peeking out too?

• @bharris lol. That grumpy one on the left was looking a little like Bill O'Reilly. Not sure why. I'll have to change that

• Here is an update on the creature one. I think at this point I will start working on more detail--then the next step will be the lighting.

I'll also probably crop it differently. I'd like it to be narrower with more of a focus on the creature.

• Is there any consideration with where text will go or is that not a requirement for this challenge. I like the look of the image, but the image alone does not tell the story. How are we to know he plans to use this creature in pace of his reindeer?

• @seanwelty said:

Is there any consideration with where text will go or is that not a requirement for this challenge. I like the look of the image, but the image alone does not tell the story. How are we to know he plans to use this creature in pace of his reindeer?

I'm not sure yet where I will have the text. Many times they simply "fade out" a corner so that could work. Or a re-crop with space over his head might work.

How would you suggest pushing the idea of Santa planning on using this creature? For whatever reason, I figured it would be clear as is.

Maybe I will try and re-draw the creature's right hand to be pointing more at himself (as in, he is responding to Santa's request with a point to the self as if to say: You want ME?).

• Looks good so far. I'd say changing the lantern to a harness might help show that Santa wants him to pull the sleigh.

• Love the creature - really well done Matt!

• I agree it's hard to tell that Santa wants to use the monster to pull the sleigh. @Damien-Rambacher had a good idea. Another thought might be if the monster is holding the reigns up with a confused look on his face like he's not sure what to do with them.

• I like your candy monster idea. I'm really digging your composition. It's very effective in showing the scale of the monster. I wounder, how sticky are those horns of his/her?

• This is really fun, looking forward to where you take this.

• @Jonathon-B said:

I agree it's hard to tell that Santa wants to use the monster to pull the sleigh. @Damien-Rambacher had a good idea. Another thought might be if the monster is holding the reigns up with a confused look on his face like he's not sure what to do with them.

Good idea--I'll try and implement that.

• I love the candy cane horns! Great creature design, the face has a bulldog quality and it looks cute but also powerful and confused.

• @Dulcie said:

I love the candy cane horns! Great creature design, the face has a bulldog quality and it looks cute but also powerful and confused.

Good call---I had a bulldog reference for the face!

• @mattramsey YES I saw that dog like reference in there right away also. You captured that dog like carefree attitude in him as well. I can almost image that Santa has to keep throwing a ball for this guy to chase/retrieve in order to keep him pulling the sleigh around the world!

• Here is an update. More detail, some lighting. I haven't done the reigns/harness idea yet.

I'll be traveling for a couple weeks so I won't be able to work on this for awhile:

• have a good trip!

• I really like your monster design a lot. It feels a bit too crowded at the top like it's cropped too close to his horn. That might just be me though.

• i love the creature as well! for some reason it reminded me of my little puppy haha.