3T Christmas WIP Update

• Hey all. Here's my rough sketch. The heavy black lines are crop lines. It's a kid pretending he's Santa and his reindeer are just stuffed toys. He has to take a stuffed unicorn in their place. Any suggestions for additions or subtractions or croppings? His giant head was smack dab in the middle of the composition so I moved him to the left.

ChristmasKid_rough.jpg

• that is an awesome idea! The sketch seems really solid.

• I agree, that's a real fun idea! I really like he composition as well.

• like composition and it's very cute!

• Yeah...a really solid sketch!! I will be watching your progress.

• Thanks everyone. I'll post my progress. Something that was really helpful - I drew most of the elements on separate layers so I could easily move them.

• Here's where I'm at so far. Working on lighting, texture and details.

ChristmasKid_cap.JPG

• It's really cute. It is amazing what a difference it makes when you start the coloring too :-)

• Wow nice Lydia! Its a great Idea! can't wait to see the finished version!

• @Marsha-Kay-Ottum-Owen Yes, it's strange how something can look great to you as a drawing but then once you start to model it with values it can look wrong. I had to give him a nose and get rid of the mustache because he looked like a really angry old man! But he was cute as just a line drawing.

• Hi Lydia! I really enjoy this piece. I'm sure it will turn out great. :-)
    I am so impressed by the texture of the unicorn. How have you done that?

I also see that it seemed to be difficult to keep the cuteness in the boys face from the drawing. He really is super cute in the sketch! He looks more angry after coloring. But I guess he is concerned because of Rudolph being sick, right? Maybe it is the eyebrows which make him look older and angrier and also the nose which you could try to make smaller? Also lighter hair and a higher hairline might help to make him look younger again. The hairline which you have now is much different from the sketch.

I am looking forward to follow your next decisions. :-)

• I did a quick edit to see how he'd look with a smaller nose and higher hairline. Now he looks like baby Michael J. Fox! Hahaha. I did want him to look more like a pouty toddler in a snit than a sad one. Christmas + sad is not good. Hmmm.... I will go back to his face at some point.

compare.jpg

The texture on the unicorn is a brush called "wet charcoal". I got it here:
    Creative Market Mega Brush Pack

Kyle's brushes are awesome. I use them a lot.

• Thanks, Lydia, for the tip regarding the brushes. :-)

I like the smaller nose and the higher hairline. You are right with Michael J. Fox though. :-)
    His mouth is definitely pouty. What makes me reading him as being sad is maybe the way he looks at Rudi (or does he looks somewhere else?). A toddler in a snit is more turning away from what is making him upset, or?

• Getting closerrrrr....
    Gosh I'm pretty tired of looking at this project! But I'm a lot happier with the kid after some changes. He had no life before. He's pulling the leash on the unicorn, not giving a thumbs down. I don't have that part done yet. I still have more polishing to do. Any issues some fresh eyes can spot?

CK_Capture.JPG

• I don't have any suggestions (yet), just wanted to say this is looking really beautiful! Lovely soft lighting, very festive and looking forward to seeing it finished :-)

• Very cute!

• I like the updated face a lot! Very cute concept and well painted! The stuffed unicorn looks like real material.

• All your work is paying off. I like the kid's face in the latest version. The whole image is much improved. Nice work!

• I think I'm done...

For now. I need to work on something else for a while.

Capture_CK2.JPG

• really fun image. Nice concept here for sure.

I think your composition, lighting, and color balance is good here. The one thing that I know Will really pushes (and I do too) is controlling your edges. Right now the image really looks like it was painted with a soft photoshop brush. The edges are all fuzzy and takes away from some of the power of the painting. An easy way to push hard and soft edges is knowing that cast shadows are hard, and form shadows are soft.

I did a quick paint over and just hardened some edges. I didn't have time to do it everywhere, but you can see how quick it cleans the image up. Also, watch out for going too dark with your shadows and adding too much black to them. Shadows are typically about two values darker than the local color and rarely go to full black.

Hope this helps some. Let me know if you have any questions. : )

Cheers,
    Lee

1448830849051-capture_ck2 copy.jpg