Comments on 3rd Thurs Welcome - POE BkCovr WIP

• I'm wondering what your guys thoughts are on my Poe book cover. I haven't had a chance to add the text yet but wanted to get everybody's advice before I continue with the design.

image.jpeg

• I really like the way you handle the paint here, it feels wet and it's different. The concern I have for this piece is the drama that it lacks because the size of the cat and Poe, they are too close. I would make the cat much smaller and introduce some strong shadow casting from the hole of the fiery brick wall. One more question, I wonder why you chose for the cat to be sitting in that pose? Just curious. Again I really like the feel of this one.

• Hi Wanczyk, What a nice painting! I like the idea of adding something comic, but for this proposition I think that it doesn't work. Therefor I would get rid of the cat, and use it for another piece, because the cat at itself is really nice. If you want to add something comic, try and find something that has cynical humor. I love the texture and the lightning on the raven. also the dramatic background. Hopefully my comments are of some help, In the end, do what you feel is right. have a nice day!

• @Wanczyk This painting cracks me up! - Would love to see a slightly guilty look on the Poe's face - or have him be subtly involved somehow in the exchange between his two creations -....... (maybe the cat could be holding a trowel .... :) for critique I would mention the glow from the cask of amontillado room is casting a red light onto the cat and the crow but not the bust - I think a bit of pink lighting on him would be good........I loved your 3rd Thursday submission - the chimpanzee in the corner had such an awesome "what the heck" look on his face - anyways those are my thoughts - great work!

• @Naroth-Kean Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to take a look at trying to make to lighting a bit my dramatic. The size between Poe and cat never occurred to me, I'll try to play around with that. I chose this particular pose for the cat because I wanted to have fun with Poe's description of a "large" cat, making this one more fat and comical looking.

• @Leontine thanks for your suggestions and I appreciate the compliments. I'm interested in your ideas of adding cynical humor, do you have any suggestions/ examples? I've toyed around with more serious layouts for this months topic but I always felt that they were a bit too gruesome when roughed out. Maybe I'll revisit my earlier drafts to see if there's any additional inspiration.

• @Kevin-Longueil thanks for the compliments! I like the idea of adding an expression on the bust and I agree that there should be more red light on the stone face. Thanks.

• @Wanczyk For now noting really cynical pops up in my mind, but its still early. Ill think about it. I Really like your website's work especially the mice in the pie!

• @Leontine thanks. You have a lot of great styles on your website, I really like the illustration series you've done with the boy and his iPad.

• I like your style--seems like we have some similar interests/styles. I agree there should be some red/orange light on the bust as well. Some kind of expression on its face is called for due to the fact you're going more the "comical" route (as opposed to the scary/spooky route).

Couple other little things: the lower left of the cat is getting kind of "muddy and or blurred" (as is the top right and left of the wall) and the bird's back might need to be tweaked. It looks a little hump back--maybe that is how it was in your reference but to me it looks a little off--I think we would probably need to see his foot as well.

Nice work!

• Hey @mattramsey , yeah it does look like our styles are a bit similar. Your work is very nice. Thanks for the feed back.

• Ok here's what I got so far. I've took a lot or your guy's suggestions, let me know what you think. Unfortunately I've been using my iPad primarily (a bit restrictive) since I'm at the hospital with my wife and our new born son (yeah!). I know there are a bunch of things I want to add (i.e. Texture to fur, dirt on mason trowel, etc...) just trying to learn how to do it on my iPad. I wonder if Will Terry will do a tutorial creating artwork on the iPad on SVSLearn?

image.jpeg

• Here he is!
    image.jpeg
    Sorry couldn't resist.

• @Wanczyk Congratualtions!!!!

• @Wanczyk Congratulations!

• @John-Wanczyk So sweet, congrats!!

• @John-Wanczyk Scary!! Much better. Someone is scheduled to do a class with iPad and procreate soon I think.

• @John-Wanczyk said:

Ok here's what I got so far. I've took a lot or your guy's suggestions, let me know what you think. Unfortunately I've been using my iPad primarily (a bit restrictive) since I'm at the hospital with my wife and our new born son (yeah!). I know there are a bunch of things I want to add (i.e. Texture to fur, dirt on mason trowel, etc...) just trying to learn how to do it on my iPad. I wonder if Will Terry will do a tutorial creating artwork on the iPad on SVSLearn?

image.jpeg

Congrats on the new painting distraction--er, I mean, child!*

The expression is so great and I love that trowel addition!

*I've got (4) kids under 6-years old and it seems that whenever I sit down to paint, that's the EXACT time they spill, spit-up, need a book read, need an owie kissed, need a fight broken up, etc, etc.

• @John-Wanczyk Congratulations! Hope he lets you have some sleep :-) (mine were terrible at that!)
    @mattramsey Four kids must keep you busy! I have two and I only get to do painting when they're a) not in the house or b) fast asleep...