November 3rd Thursday Eddie Poe

• Hello all!
    As usual, I barged ahead with one concept, without getting feedback first...gack. It's so hard for me to post rough sketches...

However, I would appreciate any and all feedback, suggestions for improvements, preferences (A, B, C, D?).

I took the more graphic route this time, and did a variation on one theme. I might do some more variations but using a different theme/motif depending on time.
    compareweb.jpg
    Thanks for your eyeballs!

• I prefer D. I think it could use some more highlights to help it keep from blending to much into the background. The text is simple but legible.

• Looks good! - I like "D" best also - my critique would be - the bottom edge of the crows right wing should be hidden behind Edgar's head - also the crow has a comically shaped eye - to be eerie like a real crow it would be almost round and somewhere between angry and expressionless - i think by expressionless i mean that the ridge above the eye should not substitute for an eyebrow - right now it is raised into an expression and with the raised wing it has a " what did you think of that" feel to it - a crow has a prominence in front of the eye to block the sun so it looks slightly angry like a bird of prey - anyway - i really like this image and love the cropping and the way you built up the crow -

• administrators

Hi Nancy, thanks for posting. I really like all these. I do have some thoughts (of course).

The overall style to me feels like something has been done on top of a photo. Like a filter or something? Is that the case here? If so, be very careful with that. I'll go into more detail here if you like.

I also like D. I think the crow looks a bit unsure of himself which doesn't feel the same tone as the story. Maybe adjust the eyes as needed.

Keep it up! We love seeing all these! : )

• Thanks for the feedback all !

As for the raven, I was trying to go for something comical (rather than menacing). I wanted to communicate that the raven was worried about having to deal with crazy ol' Poe. ie, perhaps thinking to himself "what will this nutcase do next to me?" Perhaps I should be more obvious about that, if that is what I want the feeling to be? Perhaps I should exaggerate it so that it is more obvious? Or does it seem inappropriate?

I am surprised that you all prefer D (and so does my husband prefer D), I prefer B. oh well.

I also do have my doubts/questions about using filters in PS. I could probably tweak images to make it look more hand-manipulated. I was trying to go for a more wood blocky inky graphic design feel. The raven started as a 3D model that I rendered (was used in a previous animation) and then brought into photoshop. I have also started on a 3D model of Poe (not finished - that I may or may not finish, for use with some other ideas that I have for this bookcover). And yes, then I composited the raven with a photo of Poe (found online) and then used filters on the overall composition. I've uploaded what I started with pre-photoshop.

@Lee White - Is using photos in the public domain (not sure if it is) a no-no? And yes, please tell me more about filters, and photo use. I'm a noob. Edgar_Allan_Poe_daguerreotype_cropsmaller.png PoeRavenAM.jpg

• @Nancy-Gormezano My favourite is B, although I'm not too keen on the text for it.

I'm not sure, but I think what @lee-white is getting at (other than using non-public domain photos as being bad, which you're not) is that this is an art competition rather than a photo manipulation or Photoshop competition, so is based and judged on draftsmanship and hand rendering rather than filters.

Hope that makes sense.
    Ace

• @Ace-Connell said:

My favourite is B, although I'm not too keen on the text for it.

I'm not sure, but I think what @lee-white is getting at (other than using non-public domain photos as being bad, which you're not) is that this is an art competition rather than a photo manipulation or Photoshop competition, so is based and judged on draftsmanship and hand rendering rather than filters.

Interesting! Thanks for your feedback Ace! I should probably just leave the text out on all images (as was stated in the contest description for this month) or just put "text goes here". I am not a fontologist, and being a noob, it shows! But then again, if I don't try, I won't learn to use what works/doesn't work...So thanks!

Hmmm...I was not thinking this was a competition, exactly. I was thinking these monthly prompts were a mechanism for each to build a portfolio that was representative of their own style. With the chance of a critique. And yes, I think my filter use here is too filtery, and obvious. I would like to disguise their use "better" (or not use them).

As for book covers, I was thinking the image design could be a very graphic-style, and should be bold, to grab attention away from the 20 others on the "display table". Or perhaps I should say grab attention away from the billions of images on google images/amazon?

My own goal is to push my skills (not necessarily for portfolio). I would like to use (when appropriate) my collection of 3D models (done by me), but manipulate their rendering - ie either pre-rendering via textures, lighting, etc and/or with post 2D processing. I will also use the 3D models as pose references. I want to create something to look hand crafted, and/or like an entirely new media fusion.

So, most of the time, I want to use 2D & 3D digital tools (photoshop or painter or animation:master, digital photography or etc). I want to "warm" them up to not look totally digital. And, it goes without saying, but I must say, I find the craft and art of those works done with traditional tools of paper & pencil, pen, watercolor, sculpture, film photography, etc., totally exquisite!

Thanks again for any and all feedback.

• Tried out some more variations on purple version(choice D above), in attempt to be more obviously/slightly humorous about Poe's style/stories. Moved wing behind Poe's head, added comical eyes to Poe, varied text placements and styles. Better? Worse? Preference? (I'm beginning to doubt this path, so I might start anew). Thanks again for any feedback
    ICKYPOEredlettersVariations.jpg

• Now that the humor is obvious the crow's eye works great and i'm sorry i missed the intent in the original :) - has a slightly irreverent Terry Gilliam flavor now which i love!-

• @Kevin-Longueil said:

Now that the humor is obvious the crow's eye works great and i'm sorry i missed the intent in the original :) - has a slightly irreverent Terry Gilliam flavor now which i love!-

Ha--good eye. I see Terry Gilliam now though I would have never come up with that myself.

• @Nancy-Gormezano There are winners, prizes and it's called the 3rd Thursday competition lol. I wasn't having a go or anything, just pointing out the criteria.

I am a fan of your crow though, great expression.

Ace

• @Kevin-Longueil -Thanks to yours and everyone else's feedback, it became obvious that it wasn't obvious that I was going for humor! So it helped. And I like the Poe image/replica better now.

I have to chuckle with the Terry Gilliam reference. Many people have recognized the influence of Monty Python in my work. It seems to slip in there unconsciously, usually as a surprise to me. (I'm a great fan of John Cleese)

• administrators

Hi Nancy,

What I was referring to in terms of not using photoshop filters and photography is basically an artistic one. You can definitely use images that are in the public domain without legal repercussions, but I would still advise against using any type of photoshop filter. The problem is that art directors (and other illustrators) are VERY familiar with photoshop. Any kind of filter work can come across as gimmicky and will cast you as an amateur. These things may not actually be gimmicky, but it will be hard to get around that perception in the imagery.

How I recommend using photos, etc. is put your comp together using the photos and models, etc. as you have done here. Then use that as a base and create a fresh painting from it. Many people work this way, myself included. : )

Hope that helps some. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

• @Lee-White

Thanks for the info! Yes I agree - the filters are too obvious. I use them as a warm up, to gather ideas. I will try to disguise them but also integrate them for texture. And in the same vein, here's some more. I started massaging my original favorite (1st image) to produce the 2nd, then 3rd. I will probably go with the 3rd. Not sure if I'm done with it. I can't believe how absorbed I became with Poe (even bought the kindle edition of his complete works). I originally thought I wasn't going to submit anything for November's theme. third3.jpg

• The third one is interesting. Where the heart touches the wing on the left is a little uncomfortable. I would overlap the wing with it. Also the text doesn't seem to be on the same skew as the image of the heart which is distracting from your cool illustration. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

• @AWall - Thanks Amanda! I changed the wings, text and added a border. 2Ravensver5paintWEB.jpg

• I changed the text, heart/wing occulting and the border some. 2Ravensver7WEB.jpg

• @Nancy-Gormezano I love the Edgar Allan Pretext, but The Complete Works isn't sitting right yet for me. It feels like the it's been skewed but not in a way that matches the contours of the heart and feels a little thrown on where the rest of the piece feels really organic and nice.

Ace

• Looking good.

• @Ace-Connell Thanks Ace. It's not sitting right with me either. But I like the twirl.

I oscillate between readability with the text (for the Title of the book) versus arty. I'm not quite sure what to do about it.

I'm trying to integrate something that says something like, or communicates carved on a tombstone: "Herein Lies The Complete Body &/or Works" (implying of Edgar Allan Poe's). Text, fonts, integrating it, is definitely a puzzle to me. Perhaps that text should be grunged up some more.

Looks like your connection to SVS Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.