Poe cover concepts

• It has taken me awhile to decide what I want to do for my next Third Thursday entry. Like many others, I mostly associate Poe with his scary/spooky stories, and to be honest I am not one that really goes for horror. I don't enjoy reading it and I don't particularly enjoy drawing it either.

However, Poe actually had a lot of variety in the genres he wrote in. Among his many scary stories and amazing poems, he wrote a few mystery stories. In fact, he is considered by many to be the father of the detective story--Sir Arthur Conan Doyle acknowledged that Sherlock Holmes was inspired directly by Poe's detective, C. Auguste Dupin. I decided I wanted to make a cover for a collection of Poe's mystery stories.

I made thumbnails for several different ideas, but these were my favorite. While I like the center one, I feel it looks too much like Sherlock Holmes. I really liked the idea of making a still life containing objects that are important in the stories--which is interesting, because usually I'm more excited to draw characters than objects or environments. I think the one on the right is my favorite.

Screen Shot 2015-10-23 at 5.22.42 PM.png

• All good concepts Sarah, though I keep focusing on the middle one but it may simply be the difference in contrast, ahaha. I like #1 personally.

• I feel like #3 has the strongest composition

• I'm voting for #3 for the composition and concept! it's very nice!

• I'm in the same boat as Matt and Naroth. #3 has my vote.

• Ditto #3

• I'm glad others seem to be liking my favorite, its good to have my favorite supported by others. Its hard to really know what is best when you drew all of them, you know? Its interesting to me that it seems to be the strongest composition, because when you look at it all of the objects are basically arranged in a horizontal rectangle, with space above and below for text. Something to remember for designing covers I think.

• These are really nice thumbnails and they show everything that I like to see- good compostition, lighting, value. So nice job!

Now, the tricky part for doing a still life as a cover is remembering to make it interesting for people who don't know that stuff is in the stories or what they are about. I've gotten this type of assignment before and had to do things like make the negative space into a skull, or maybe some drops of blood on the envelope (note: this is just an example, yours don't have to be scary or gory to pull this off). You just need it to be clever and work on a couple of different levels. Otherwise, it's hard to generate the needed excitement to make a still life stand out on the shelves and in your portfolio.

A lot of people work wonders with cast shadows. For example, that chess piece could be casting a shadow of something else in the story. Some kind of storytelling shape that would make the viewer want to see what that is about.

Just a thought, can't wait to see what you come up with! : )

-lee

• I'm a fan of both 2 and 3.