Would love your feedback on this piece

• 0_1507273303147_F1C2AA11-A166-47FB-AAEF-71208215E808.jpeg

I am pulling an all nighter and finishing up my book dummy so it can get printed before this weekend’s agent day. I hate this piece, but due to time restriction, I am forced to like
    it.

Any input would be appreciated. I will be up for another six hours, so if you are on and have anything to add to this piece I will be checking in every so often while I fight sleep...

• @eric-castleman I think it's all in the character could be a reasonably quick fix. He appears to be tweaked a little to much to the left I think if you rotate him clockwise more in line with the direction of the staircase it should be a good impact. Just getting a tiny shot of the side or edge of his face. Also make the body language a little more readable unless what you have is reading what you want it to. Cool work as always!

• Hope I am not to late!

The main thing for me is the character... I agree with what @Tyson-Ranes said. I think it would also help to show his feet. Right now he kinda look like a wedding cake topper... He looks glued to the stair.

Love the color of the clouds and sky. I really struggle with using color freely. I am taking a class with Marco Bucci next month which I hope will help me.

Good luck on your project!

• Could the character's shirt be shifted a bit more towards a warmer color? It might help him stand out against all of those cool colors. On a related note, the candle on the far right throws me off a little since its one of the more dominant warm tones but not really part of the focal point. The left-most candle seems like a better fit for that particular warm tone as it seems to match up with the characters line of sight.

Just some thoughts and observations! I think it's really not such a bad piece. It just needs a little nudging. Good luck! :)

• Thanks everyone for all the help. Unfortunately I couldn’t pull it off. I just am not satisfied with the piece, and don’t want to present it this weekend. It is my fault for procrastinating. However, I will still be able to participate as an illustrator and have my portfolio with me. Thanks again.

Looks like your connection to SVS Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.