Sept 3rd Thursday Progress

• Hi everyone!
    It's my first time posting here :) I entered last month's 3rd Thursday w/o any planning so this time I decided to give more study and research on it. Here's what I came up with. I decided to go with a concept of a midnight party in the forest.

Attached below are the b& w thumbnails, the initial and rough sketches. I'm still figuring out the animals and the perspective though. Any critiques and questions on this are welcome! Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2015-09-06 at 7.57.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-06 at 7.51.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-06 at 7.50.31 PM.png

Also, feel free to check out my portfolio (mikeyz8793.tumblr.com) and blog (migz8793.tumblr.com) if any of you are interested in seeing more of my work :)

• I think you have a great start and your animals are adorable, but to me there is too much detail competing with them. Wait and see what others say though.

• Great work, I think i wait for your value study before commenting on what needs fiddling.

• @mikeamante Great idea and composition! I especially like the curvy tree on the right.

I do agree that there's a bit too much detail in the line work - you can still have that much, but I'd suggest making things like the bark of the trees, etc much lighter and thinner. One more thing: your stage doesn't have perspective. The side of it should taper off to a vanishing point.

• I really like those thumbnails you did, so easy to read, and the one you chose has such great shapes. I know this is still in the sketch phase, but as others have said the level of detailing is off. Right now, things in the background actually have MORE detail than the foreground.

I'm not sure if this is what you're going for, but right now the image is reading very flat and pattern oriented. The perspective on the stage is off (it should be getting larger as it gets closer to the viewer), and a lot of things have even spacing, which makes it feel staged and unrealistic.

I looked at your Tumblr, and your work is very nice! You have a nice sense of color and design. Can't wait to see this finished!

• Thanks so much for the feedback everyone! :) I learned a ton from it! I did some small edits on the sketches based on what was suggested.

Regarding the details on the trees in bg, I initially wanted it detailed so that the eyes will be lead to the characters (which are simpler). Though I agree, it is way too detailed. I also planned the illustration to be flat like in 2D cartoons.

I fixed the stage using the perspective tool in PS, lessened the details on some of the trees and added a few animals too make it feel like a party. I added a white layer on top of the original sketch so you can see the changes.

I also did a rough color sketch w/o the animals. Charly's colors is way too saturated for the foreground though. I tried to avoid using too dark colors since I want to portray the happiness of the scene.

For the lighting, I used the moon light to give focus on the animals and some fireflies to add some atmosphere.

Any feedbacks on the edits are welcome!

Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 1.34.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 6.50.45 PM.png

• Nice bold colours, remember the further something is away, it become less saturated!

• @Steve-Young Thanks Steve! Forgot about that :) Will definitely put it into mind when coloring the actual piece

Looks like your connection to SVS Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.