3rd Thursday, Charly and the Forest Spirits

• I'm going to try and participate in this month's 3rd Thursday, it'll be my first! My idea is some little forest spirits in the middle of a procession that Charly stumbles upon. I did a number of thumbs, and this is the one I liked the most.
    Forest_spirit_procession_wip.jpg

• Oh yeah, here are some rough sketches for the little spirits
    spirit_sketches.jpg

• This is great! The masks are my favorite part!

• Nice going cant wait to see you do more.

• @Shannon-Perkins The spirits are super cool. I love the feeling of them. Your thumbnail is already pulling me in. Charly looks (as my son would say) epic, and then I realize that actually the spirits must be really small. So much storytelling going on already.

• Shannon this is looking very good - are you looking for critique yet? - i mentioned Akira Kurosawa's Dreams in my response to you earlier but failed to mention that this reminded me of it (which is awesome i must say)- so maybe when third thursday has come and gone check it out - the Marriage of the Foxes i believe is the one - anyways - thought i might mention that i am reading the one on the left a being much more successful - the figure of Charly recedes up and slightly away proper to the perspective of the piece - the scale of his head and tapering legs are the main differences ...pretty sure you knew this and the one on the left is the more refined one...so forgive me if i state more obviousness...i enjoy the character sketches of the spirits .. but to fit with the angle of the composition they should be drawn from a very low viewpoint so that we are looking up under the jawbones so to speak seeing the underside of the forearms, horns, masks, etc.. ....basically it is looking very good and is probably too early for this type of critique.. :)

• I really like your thumbnail, I bet this will be a great piece! I've done third thursday a few times and its a really fun competition, I hope you enjoy it too.

• You have some great ideas going here. I will be watching this thread as you progress. Nice work so far.

• I love the spirit idea so much and those spirits are adorable. Can't wait to see more!

• @Maile-McCarthy I'm glad you think it's "epic"! I'm trying to push my comforts zones and really play with POV to enhance the piece. And yes, the spirits are quite tiny.

@Kevin-Longueil I'm always up for a critique! Even early on they're useful to help think about ideas, and the planning stages are so important. I really like Kurosawa, although I haven't seen Dreams (though I might need to now). You are definitely right about the perspective, and I'm going to push them a lot more on the little spirits, and keep the extreme foreshortening on Charly. Thanks for all the feedback!

@Sarah-LuAnn I've been watching the 3rd Thursday videos, and have seen all the participation in the forums and it does look fun.

And thanks everyone for your kind words and feedback. I can't wait for the weekend so I can really sit down and make some art.

• Here's another round of working up the piece. Still haven't finalized Charly, but I have more of an idea of what I want him to look like and be doing. I'm having so much fun doing the little spirits. I can finish up Charly now and start inking. I'm really going to push to get this done by the 18th!
    Forest_spirit_procession3.jpg

• Its going well, I would suggest charly could be bending down looking at the creatures.

• @steve young Thanks for the feedback. I think having him bend down could be a good idea, but I opted not to for the sake of simplicity. It would be a lot of work to figure out that in perspective, and the image is already becoming a bit complicated. In the future I really want to play more with posing, gotta get back into those anatomy studies!

• Its easier than you think, just draw a simple box at the right angle then fit your character inside it. If you would like me to do a draw over I don't mind showing you.

• Love the concept of your piece especially the perspective! Your character designs are spot on too! Maybe draw Charly a bit leaned closer with the lamp raised a little bit? so he looks like as if he's looking at the spirits..

• Really lovely look at the assignment. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I really like the composition, and also the little spirits are so cute :)) Best of luck in the competition

• love the composition so far and again those spirits. I would make him look as if he is peeking according to the text.

• The spirits are so wonderful! I can almost hear the music :) I agree with Naroth, Charly needs to be peeking, but i just love his pose.

• Epic, really looking forward to this :)

• Can't wait to see the color version!!