Designing an image for watercolor

• For anyone familiar with Lee White's class on freeing up with watercolor, I wonder what your thoughts are on the issue I have come across. Obviously I would be stoked if @Lee-White would chime in on this as well.

I have been painting for the last few months with a free style, and I really love it, but most recently I have come to a crossroads with it, because some of the pieces I am designing would require me to mask off so much of the painting in order to freely paint and get a consistent texture throughout. This leads me to believe that I am either not understanding how to use color when considering how it should look, or there is a aspect of designing one's image that lends to this style of painting. If I paint each section individually, I end up with different textures, as well as water stains which ruins the 30-45 mins of preperation I spend on drawing the darn thing.

Any thoughts?

• administrators

hi eric, I'd be happy to answer. Can you post a more specific example of what you are talking about? It's kinda tough to try to answer this without an image in mind.

• @Lee-White thanks for replying!! I am currently watching the new Will Terry video, and he mentions how hard it is to be 1 on 1 for you three while being full time professional artists at the same time, and I immedietly felt bad for tagging you ;-) Just know I REALLY apreciate your time!

So here is a somewhat worked out thumbnail that I want to watercolor.

0_1489425855902_3DAFA4FE-40A5-4E5F-ACF3-7D787A85F24D-1720-000001EBAD097513_tmp.png

Here is the problem I am having: I remember when we spoke at CTNx, and I mentioned that your images almost seem like value studies with one color, and then you seem to use a complementary color for emohasis. Correct me if I am wrong about that analysis. However, when trying to paint freely with this sort of image, I either have to paint the whole thing one color, or mask off most of the image. Maybe that is what needs to be done, but it seems that the way I designed the image might not be suitable for watercolor. Is that an actual thing that exists? Designing for watercolor?

• administrators

here's how i would handle an image like this. I would only mask out the subject matter. I'd paint everything else a little more freely and use water to control where it goes. Originally i thought i would paint the cliff side seperately which is what #2 is, but really all of that could be painted together.

0_1489427205976_1489425860826-3dafa4fe-40a5-4e5f-acf3-7d787a85f24d-1720-000001ebad097513_tmp.jpg

• @Lee-White dud, you are the man! Thanks so much for this. I painted all weekend and biffed so many paintings, so this really helps me out! Thank you!!!!

Looks like your connection to SVS Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.