WIP Personal Artrage exercise piece

• So I finally sprung for the full desktop version of Artrage - a digital painting software I've wanted for quite some time. I have the app, both on my galaxy note tab and on my galaxy note phone. Mainly because of how painterly everything created in this program looks. My quick water-studies were all made with the app-version, and I find this tool harder to work with than photoshop. But it's a challenge, and something I would really like to get better at, so I decided to start an exercise piece trying out the oil-brushes.

On this piece I'm past the sketch phase, and have started blocking in lights and darks (no references for this - this is a surreal doodle which I'm approaching in a more playful manor). When I'm happy with the contrast and main shapes, I plan on doing a limited colour palette and trying to digitally glaze with the different oil-brushes.

Pleas feel free to give feedback and critiques, any comments are much appreciated :)

0_1473628127675_Submerged-skisse2.jpg

• I like the delicate nature of your work. It does not look digital at all.

• @Camomilla thats a great image! I love how it looks.

• @Jan-Clifton-Watford Thank you, personally I like art that look traditional best myself. But I also enjoy the digital experience - and it's much less stressful for the arm/shoulder :)

@Chip-Valecek Thank you :) I hope I don't ruin it trying to render it :p :)

• Its so good as is, I wouldnt even render it. But looking forward to seeing it render.

• Tonights revision. This is actually getting to be more fun than frustration. May it last :p0_1473715495049_Skjermbilde-2016-09-12-kl.-23.21.04.jpg

• And the fish got some love tonight. I'm also trying to push the contrast in the face more, but this is really hard without changing the expression. It's a very slow build up for me.

0_1473804702906_Submerged-skisse2_2.jpg

• @Camomilla said in WIP Personal Artrage exercise piece:

@Jan-Clifton-Watford Thank you, personally I like art that look traditional best myself. But I also enjoy the digital experience - and it's much less stressful for the arm/shoulder :)

@Chip-Valecek Thank you :) I hope I don't ruin it trying to render it :p :)

• So, finally, after a busy week or so with family obligations, I've been able to resume painting on my surreal Artrage piece :) I've completed the first glaze, done with the watercolour brush. All of the underpainting (or Grisaille) is done with a dry oil brush. I've taken out a bit of the colour of the first glaze with a "just water"-brush. I'm thinking that my next glaze will be a dark green or petroleum blue for the shadows, and some warmer tones for the lighter parts. I'm hoping this way of approaching rendering will give this some depth and dimention :)

0_1474662784558_Submerged-skisse3.jpg

• Introducing green. I was originally planning to do another complete wash or glaze with this color, but I kept it for the shadows. I'm really inexperienced when it comes to rendering, colour and such, so this all very new to me.

0_1474751981157_Submerged-skisse4.jpg