months later..not perfect but, FINISHED!

• Re: love is chivalry

It seems that I've been swallowed up by this illustration..
    I have watched and learned from so many of you artists and this wonderful community here at SVS.

but there comes a time when you just have to commit and put yourself out there..
    So, dear svslearn community and the wonderful supportive artists of third thursdays and our mentors there, I give you my first digital illustration which in the words of jake parker is.. not perfect but finished=)

0_1469664879891_Chivalry robots.jpeg

• critiques are welcome and much appreciated.. what do ya think?

• Hi @thuraya , and congrats on your first digital illustration. It looks very nice, and if it is really your first digital piece, it is well done! I particularly like the textures and the color scheme. The texture of the wall looks really good!. The narrative is clear and the drawing style is charming. One thing that disturbs me is the composition. Your focal point is with the chivalrous guy, which is good, but then the eye goes to the circular Windows and then out of the picture. The girl is missed in the shadows and is a second or third read.
    There is an excellent composition course here at SVS (as well as a ton of books on the matter!). In general, it is better to avoid high-contrast elements at the border or corner of a picture: the highest contrast should be with your focal point.
    But it is a really good start and I hope to see more of your work!

• Yay for you. I hope to be able to present a digital picture someday. I can't really comment because I have zilch idea what it takes to do a drawing digitally but it looks like you did a gerat job considering the light coming through the door, the shadows, etc. Thanks for sharing! I hope I do as well if I ever get around to taking on the digital work. I have the software and the drawing tablet and pen....just need to do it.

• Hello :) @smceccarelli, thanks for stopping by! Am glad you like the overall of the illistration and its obvious to me now the valid problem areas your pointing out, Ill have to work on those.

This IS my very first digital. It was supposed to be an entry for 3rd thursday with the "Love" prompt but I spent 5 months on it.. embarrassed.. on and off learning new techniques in-inbetween but finally decided to move forward and post it after watching one of Jake parkers youtube videos.

To be honest I unintentionally spent more time on the building that you liked trying to perfect it rather on my main attraction.. the robots, Ill have to balance my efforts better in the future.

• @Marsha-Kay-Ottum-Owen
    Yes YAY! thanks for the kind words:) glad you liked my work.

Come join the 3rd thursdays here at svslearn they are great for giving you that push to just go for it and start. Maybe next time around i'll be visiting your first digital.

• This is great! I remember the initial sketch, and you have come light years since that! My main suggestion to really finish it off is to up the contrast around the main characters...deepen the shadows under them and brighten the highlights. Since it is digital, you can add a layer and play with stuff. They are metal, so don't be afraid to add some crisper highlights. Excellent job on your first digital piece!

• @Lynn-Larson
    thanks so much! Your earlier suggestions were much appreciated, and how wonderful you stopping by to see the end result :) happy you came by again.
    Ill keep all these great tips ready for the next piece.. Im calling this one done for now.

thanks for all the support and great tips everyone

• Yeay! Congrats on your first digital piece. I like your color scheme and the idea is really nice.
    Some thoughts to bring with you as you begin your next piece (since the way to progress in art is to constantly make more art...)
    Your door seems over powering in the background because it is strongly contrasted, whereas your characters don't have as much tonal range in them. Keep in mind that your eye will go to the part of your painting that has the greatest amount of contrast (dark vs. light) and use that when creating the focal point in your painting to ensure that the viewers eye goes to where you want it to go.
    Keep up the digital painting. It really is so much fun and the only way to get better at it is to paint, paint, paint~ Happy painting. Looking forward to seeing more of your work~!

• @thuraya I've done some third Thrsdays with traditional. It's a great chance to build our skills but I haven't tried digital yet. Someday :-)

• I like the look of rust on the building. Maybe add the light from the window on the ground.

• @Larissa-Brown-Marantz
    skipping and dancing thanks:) I'm glad you liked the color scheme its one of my favorites.
    o my your so right. I got so immersed with the color scheme and light and shadows that I overlooked contrasts. Ill keep that in mind for my next piece.
    your totally right must keep on painting digitals to get better.
    thanks for taking a look and for the valuable insight. good luck with your artwork as well Ive seen one of your pieces (with the polar bears) nice style and wonderful colors

• @Marsha-Kay-Ottum-Owen
    looking forward to it. Loved your bear piece with the candle, nicely done and very soothing. I expect you'll have no problem with digital once you get to know the tools.

• @Chris-Perry happy you noticed:) thanks for stopping by and being supportive.

Looks like your connection to SVS Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.