3rd Thursday - Astrid -

• Hello Everyone! I'm new to digital painting and this is only my second attempt at it. I do 3rd Thursday challenges as a monthly motivator to learn digital painting, more so than for hopes of wining. Anyway, just wondering if you can see any areas that need improvement before I submit. Thanks!

Christina

• oops! *winning

• Hey Christina, I gotta say you did pretty good job on second attempt. I love your drawing and the idea of camouflaging the dragon with the environment. This reminded me of a game. Great job and good luck!

• Oooh, very cool! I really like your concept!

• Wonderful!

• DAMN. So good.

I think If you zoom in and go over it again and do a cleanup you will be in a great shape. I mean like those lines on a rock that are too light, light and dark lines on dragons leg Sometimes when I really look at some area there are just random light or dark lines and I dont think they are helping the image. You could also probably play with the light a bit more, when I look at the dragon I am not really sure where to put the light source

Concerning drawing and composition thats just perfect I think :)

• @Jiří-Kůs Thanks! I was feeling like this one was a fail. Yeah, the line work is what's bugging me too. I can't seem to get good lines with my Intuos tablet (wish I had a Cintiq!) so I scanned in my sketch. I also tried to use Terry's 10 step process, but found that I was losing my drawing after a few layers. I'll try to clean it up a bit more if I can.

Thanks for the encouraging comments everyone! If you see anything else, let me know!

• @Christina-Taylor-Brown I am not positive but I think it is Will's digital pencil class where he shows you how to remove the black lines off of your paper from a scan so you can paint underneath it. Has helped me a lot!

• Your off to a great start! Really a neat concept that has a story attached to it. Keep working at it because this image has some really good things going for it. Nice job!

• @Christina-Taylor-Brown , Hi Christina, really love it. maybe you can try cleaning it up a bit, but don't let it become 'stiff' while doing that, because the loose character of the drawing is what makes it so nice. GOGOGO!

• This is so cool - love the little Viking! It is a very charming image! I agree that a little touch up of your edges can go a long way to making this look more finished. What I usually do at the end is just zoom in close on my edges and use the eye dropper tool and a pretty hard edged brush to just go in and paint the colors right up to edge of the lines so there isn't so much of a halo of light or scratchy lines where the lines show through. (In my attempts at more realistic painting - I do a similar thing but just go in and makes sure all the colors cover up any lines and meet up to the next color.) This usually doesn't take very long and can give a nice polish. But, I don't know much about children's illustration... yet lol... so feel free to take everything I say with some skepticism or disregard lol. Anyways - great image and good luck! :)