July 3rd Thursday WIP

• Hi, I'm attempting my first 3rd Thursday entry here, so we'll see how it goes My Idea was a mouse stranded on a lily pad, and a cat coming to the rescue(?). I'm currently blocking out the scene, but I wasn't sure which angle was the best.

1. we know the cat is friendly, but we are not sure if the mouse is reacting with joy or fright.

2. here we see mouse expression, but the cat's intent is up for interpretation. depending on how it turns out the cat could look menacing or friendly, or maybe that's part of the story that pulls the viewer in?

any suggestions?
    alt text

• So I decided to go with the second angle, I like the ambiguity caused by not seeing the cats face, which may make the (child) viewer ask questions about what's happening.

but a couple of questions for you all:

1 I'm not sure the mouse looks stranded enough: I need to think of a good way to add to the back story. maybe a wrecked boat in the background?

2 should I add the caption to the image ? It's definably in the 'child's book' style so it might be appropriate, but I didn't plan on a place for it.

any other critiques on style or composition welcome and appreciated. thanks!

alt text

• It's looking good so far. You did a great job on the water.

• The water looks really awesome and I like the expression of the mouse - he looks properly uncertain of what to think about his rescuers. What I believe needs more work is the clouds - they are not as finished and as realistic as the water, which is a little jarring. I am not sure I would add any more clues about being stranded - a mouse on a water-lily looks pretty stranded to me, and I would be careful not to ruin the simplicity of the image.

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• The mouse is stranded for months, remember? So should'nt there be signs of him living, eating or maybe he has made some arrangements for his eating? Can a broken boat stay that long in the water?
    To me, right now the mouse looks ready to go with his backpack and maybe surprised.
    Love the concept :)

@russcript said in July 3rd Thursday WIP:

So I decided to go with the second angle, I like the ambiguity caused by not seeing the cats face, which may make the (child) viewer ask questions about what's happening.

but a couple of questions for you all:

1 I'm not sure the mouse looks stranded enough: I need to think of a good way to add to the back story. maybe a wrecked boat in the background?

2 should I add the caption to the image ? It's definably in the 'child's book' style so it might be appropriate, but I didn't plan on a place for it.

any other critiques on style or composition welcome and appreciated. thanks!

alt text

• The only thing that I feel could use some work i sthe clouds and maybe the sun. Maybe they need to be a bit more subdued? The rest looks great! Love the water too.

• thanks for the input guys:

@Nazuba - yes I thought about this, but I couldn't think of a lot of materials he has to work with, maybe a fishing pole and blanket roll would show that he has been surviving for a while.

like @smceccarelli said , there's not much room to add stuff without getting crowed on the lily pad.

I can see what you all mean about the clouds - I was kind of trying to imply an coming night/storm, but it does look a bit unfinished, I'll have to get some reference and work it a bit more.

• Which of these compositions do you think is strongest? I tried to add to the story that the mouse has cobbled together a shelter from the wreckage of his boat. I also tried to subdue the clouds and sky a bit - and focus more attention on the mouse.

1. I painted this first, and I feel most comfortable with it, probably because I spent a lot of time looking at it.
      alt text

1. but then I thought it might be stronger to have the shelter lines pointing to the mouse instead of away, so I flipped it around. I'm not sure if it works or not, what do you think?
      alt text

• any opinions or critiques before I submit this? I feel like the first one works the best for me; the second one I feel the sail competes with the mouse for attention, maybe I could tone it down.

• @russcript I vote for the first on too :) Only thing critique-wise is the mountain touching the cat's face - that sharp line touching the cat's cheek is bringing the background forward i think - really nice painting!

• @Kevin-Longueil thanks, I fixed that , and submitted my first entry. fingers crossed!

Looks like your connection to SVS Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.