June 3rd Thursday WIP

• I'm going with: Bonzo is the only teddy bear that doesn't care for tea parties.
    These are my first rough ideas.
    0_1464767244830_concepts_1.jpg

• I like the first one, but the story seems to read that he is mad at something they did to him... so, maybe he can be playing with a car or something and not paying attention to them...

• @Russ-Van-Dine good point. I'll have to figure out how to get the story to come across clearer. Thanks for the feedback:)

• I like the composition on #2. But like @Russ-Van-Dine mentioned he looks mad in them. You can try having him roll is his like "Oh man not another tea party"

• @Chip-Valecek I like this suggestion. He could even be included or dressed up for the tea party with an expression that makes it obvious he'd rather be elsewhere.

• I like number 2. The camera angle works well for me. Great job.

• I think I like #1 but will the rolling eyes or just so bored look.

• I vote for the second composition and agree with the suggestions on experimenting with less angry expressions 🙂

Also I would be careful with the pink color, it's precariously close to Lots-o from Toy Story:
    0_1465353737941_lots-o.jpg

• Well this is where I'm at so far. I thought I had his expression but I guess he still looks a mad. 0_1465537775237_Line-drawing.jpg

• @evilrobot He reminds me of Gruffy out of the Gummi Bears 🙂

• Maybe Bonzo doesn't like tea parties because of what she does to him or how she dresses him. Maybe put a bib or dunce hat...I don't something along that line.

• It might be good to place Bonzo where the girl is (although maybe to the side a bit more, to be less dead centre) and have all the other characters facing him. Right now the girl character is fighting for the main focus.

• @evilrobot that is such a hard expression to nail. If you google eye roll you will notice there is less pupil and its moved to the opposite direction as the other characters. Also show more of the eye vs having the eye lid half closed. Everything else is working.

• Here's where I'm at right now. I watched Will Terry's digital pencil class and wanted to give it a go. What do you think?0_1465674906669_Bonzo-tea_party.jpg

• @evilrobot nailed it!

• I love the textures you've got going on here! I can really see how you've taken on board the Will Terry pencil class 🙂 I really like the shading and the cross-hatching, it's very nice.

I have some thoughts in case it is helpful...I mention it partly because you were talking about being unsure which style to pursue...I wonder whether adding another, subtly coloured layer of pencil texture on top of what you've done might help to create more of the painterly feel from your other work. At the moment your linework for the outlines is fairly heavy compared to the size of the characters - obviously you should choose whatever style you like best - but if you added another layer with subtle colours, you could play with the outline thicknesses a bit and show where the light is coming from. (I don't know if this is making sense, but bear with me!)

I don't know if you watched Jake's inking class yet but one of the things he does is thinner lines where the light is hitting the object/at the top, and thicker lines at the bottom/where it is dark. So even though he has linework all over his objects, they still feel heavy/dark in the right places. I reckon you could imitate that feel, by colouring over bits of your line with extra bits of hatched pencil. This would also allow you to play with saturated/desaturated colour areas as well, if you wanted.

I had a quick go at drawing over Bonzo to try and show what I mean - hope you don't mind (I probably went a little too saturated - you could do it with more subtle colours). And of course please ignore if it's not what you fancy doing! But I do really like the progress here, the textures and hatching are great and will be good to see more 🙂

0_1465768336037_1465674901276-bonzo-tea_party-new2.jpg

• I feel like the bear closest to us in the image is getting a bit lost and could use some separation from the other characters for a faster read... maybe it's significantly darker for contrast?

I adore the expressiveness of your characters, lovely!

• Well here's what I ended up with. Rendered in black and white and color...I like the black and white not sure about the color version. Anyway it's done for now. 0_1466574029056_Bonzo-hatch-black-and-white.jpg 0_1466574033635_Bonzo-color-web.jpg

• @evilrobot I think the color version looks very good! I know you said you are done so forgive me if you are to looking for input and feel free to ignore 🙂 it looks a bit like the four charactered are not on the same ground plane - if i cover the hatching under the girl's arm and teapot that is her shadow i think it helps a bit - so i think if you just remove that particular shadow it will help ground the group - i think as it is now that shadow raises the ground plane behind the girl very steeply and this does not work with the ground position of Bonzo - possibly adding hatched ground plane that touched all characters would be effective to - i did a quick and heavy handed one with a hatching brush to show what i mean - really looks great though William! once again i know you a probably done so feel free to ignore 🙂0_1466577541723_Ground plane.jpeg

• @Kevin-Longueil Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I can see what you mean. I already submitted it but I'll definitely fix that if I decide to make it a portfolio piece. I'm still not 100% comfortable with the hatching yet. Or know if this is the way I want to go with my portfolio yet. I'm getting closer to something I can live with though.