April 3rd Thursday

• 3rdApril16.jpg

Prompt:

"This was a pretty BIG problem, but Lucy was confident. She popped opened her magic toolbox and immediately found the perfect tool for the fix."

• One entry per person
    • jpeg images only
    • Images should not be larger than 2000 pixels in the long dimension
    • LABEL YOUR JPEG WITH YOUR NAME (ex: joeSmith.jpg)
    • Illustrations that do not fit the category or prompt will not be considered.
    • You grant the right to display your artwork on www.svslearn.com
    • This has to be a spot illustration

Submission

• Images must be submitted before 12:00 noon EST March 17th 2016
    • Images must be sent to svslearninfo@gmail.com for consideration
    • LABEL YOUR JPEG WITH YOUR NAME (ex: joeSmith.jpg)
    • In the email please include your Instagram and Twitter username (we want to tag the winners)
    • Posting your image in the forum is a great way to get feedback leading up to the competition

How it works:

The day after each 3rd Thursday competition we will announce a NEW illustration prompt for the following month. Anyone may enter - you don’t need permission - just start creating. We will accept submissions up to 12:00 noon EST (That’s 9:00AM for California) on the 3rd Thursday of the month. At 11:00PM EST we will critique 5 of the best submissions on that same 3rd Thursday in our online GoToMeeting classroom. It is free for anyone to join in and watch us critique each image according to design/composition standards and appropriate storytelling principles and intended category. We will provide the joining information at a later date so check back on our Facebook page for updates: https://www.facebook.com/schoolofvisualstorytelling

Out of the 5 entries we pick for critique we will award 1 of them with a free class of their choice. Once someone has won they will not be eligible to have their work critiqued or win the free classes for one year - giving more artists the chance to win.

Our goal for this competition is to give you real world assignments that will help you add relevant artwork to your portfolio that will hopefully help you land assignment work from publishers. You will be able to pick up many tips and tricks by attending our monthly critique sessions online for free. Good luck and we’ll look forward to seeing your creations in April!

• @Jake-Parker @Will-Terry @Lee-White Is this a good place to ask questions for 3rd Thursday? I have two questions related to the submission:

1. I have a few ideas running around but some would involve a 2pg layout, would that still be considered a single submission? ie, submitting 2 pages for the same submission.
    2. If one page/illustration has a spot ill. and the other does not would that still be considered for the entry?

• Hi Brad,

These contests are for you. If you think that would make an engaging image, I say go for it. Maybe post a sketch first so we can see what you are talking about and can better direct you. I always say use these assignments as starting points for upgrading your portfolio and practicing your time management and art skills to get you ready for a pro career.

• @Jake-Parker @will-terry @lee-white So this IS a spot illustration...or not?

I ask because the LAST one was a spot and I remember Jake saying that for April there wouldn't be a specific type of illustration required (beyond the prompt).

Just need to know so that my piece is correct.

• Also, would it be possible to confirm the date ? It is probably April 21st, but one time it was actually the 4th Thursday of the month so I just want to confirm!

Thanks!

• @Lee-White said:

Hi Brad,

These contests are for you. If you think that would make an engaging image, I say go for it. Maybe post a sketch first so we can see what you are talking about and can better direct you. I always say use these assignments as starting points for upgrading your portfolio and practicing your time management and art skills to get you ready for a pro career.

Awesome, thank you Lee! I am looking forward to getting a lot of these finished for my portfolio so I can get my career on track in illustration. I have a few sketches to go so I can post at once on a new thread. Thanks again.

• I would also like to know if this must be a spot illustration or not. It says so here, but on the SVS site it does not, so I am assuming that it is just left over from last month, is that right?

• My submission for this month!

0_1461120861996_Lucy10 - light from box.jpg

I also made another image showing Lucy as a kid receiving the magic tool box from her grandfather. This one is almost finish

0_1461120910622_Lucy setup 6.jpg

• Great submission! One thing I thought was I didn't see the scissors or safety pin for a while. I saw the bandage and tape roll but didn't put it together until I saw the metal items. But I really had to search for it to see them.

• @BradAYoo Good point! I will have to rework this... unfortunately I already sent my image, but I will rework it before putting it in my portfolio!

• I think i owe you guys an apology! I think i sent mine in 5 times >.< My email kept saying it didn't go through, then there were 5 in the sent mail list! Now i'm confused if it went through or not lol

Here's my final :)

• Here's my entry.
    0_1461203041178_April3rdthursday_Final.jpg

• Here is mine!

0_1461204605139_magic_toolbox_2page.jpg

• Adding to the party!
    0_1461206663579_chip_valecek.jpg

• @Damien-Rambacher I seriously love this one so much

• Wow, such great entries I see here already!

I've already won (so I can't win again), but thought I'd join the party anyway.

I decided to (loosely) take the text and make it into a retelling (a very brief one!) of Frankenweenie in a graphic novel style. And couldn't help but add some humour in too haha. Can't wait to see them all tonight!

0_1461250727977_danetteByatt.jpg

• Here is my Lucy - the blue mouth is a bit painful to look at i know - i will change that - did send it in already though - anyways.. learned so much on this one - good luck to everyone! 0_1461252365848_LUCY final small.jpeg

• Fantastic work everyone! Here's my entry:

0_1461260912737_magic-box-sketch11-web2.jpg

• Such wonderful entries this month (as usual I am blown away)0_1461261923501_NancyGormezanoApril2016.jpg

• Beautiful work everyone! Here is mine!alt text
    www.smceccarelli.com