Balancing different types of practice and project work daily

• Hi everyone, I've noticed that we all want to improve and practice better and smarter and I wanted to share a formula I've been using. I recently accepted a part -time job and knew I needed to re-evaluate how I approach my days to maximize different types of practice and balancing that with project work.

I follow Draw with Jazza on youtube and this video helped bring into focus what I needed to do to improve.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu3ulVhO3z4

From this I came up with a formula:

Illustration Practice/ Work

1. Innate – consistency over a long period of time- drawing everyday, volume can produce project material.

2. Inspired- bursts of learning and enthusiasm-based on environment, emotion, new experiences, difficult to maintain long term.

3. Developmental- intentionally acquired skills- mechanical.
      -Copy others' art work
      -One picture repeat with time constraints
      -Life drawing
      -Tutorial marathon, themed
      -Deconstructed exercises break down complicated images into simple shapes
      -Construction take simple shapes and fill in the blanks

4. Project- combines all forms of practice, based on something that inspires you

Morning illustration work:

1. Warm up- Copy other artwork, life drawing, one picture repeat, subject matter themed

2. Tutorial- Class SVS, Oatley or you tube

3. Practice- Class assignments or practice from tutorial

4. Project work- Current book assignment, personal project to completion

Of course I've broken this down into my time schedule and I have an updated list of the next classes to do and projects to work on. I have a really organized brain, but also want to flow creatively and I find that knowing what section I'm in during the day and the choice to copy or do life drawings, or what project I want to focus on gives me the opportunity to do both.

I feel like I'm hitting on something everyday that helps me learn or stretches my mind and it's always expanding. Everyday can't be like this, but if I can do a little bit of each and have that one day of total inspired practice I feel really balanced.

Hope you get something out of this too, thanks for reading! What works for you to find balance in your creative work?

• Wow so great, So structured. You can't help but succeed with this formula. Thank you for sharing!

Looks like your connection to SVS Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.