* UPDATED* March 3rd Thursday

• Tried to get my Feb 3rd Thursday piece done but I alas I pushed it too far and it flopped. So I'm starting early on this months and reaching out for feed back.

After talking with my 9 yr old twins and asking what would blow their minds at show and tell I went with my daughter Trinity's ideas - a huge Venus fly trap. (She's never even heard of Little Shop of Horrors. LOL) So here is a quick sketch.

I wonder if there needs to be more stuff from the class room in there? It is a spot and I don't want to cram too much in there. Should I go with a tiled floor and a few desks? A few frightened class mates? Chalk board in the back? Or even a banner?

Thoughts?
    sketch v3.jpg

• @Katrina-Fowler Hi Katrina, Nice sketch! Some schoolstuff like a chalkboard would really be nice to add. Curious for the next sketch.

• lovely sketch, love love the bow!

• It totally works whether you've seen little shop or not! very cute! I would say a few cowering classmates would be great and some school stuff. A classroom door behind her would be really good like she is strolling in and the front row is to the left.

• Cool idea! I like that she's brought it in a wagon.

• Gorgeous drawing, love the little girl! And the idea is great πŸ™‚ Love the jar of flies too! Yeah some hint of location would be good…like the flooring etc, and maybe if you had a hint of desks/class reaction just opposite the girl, in the right hand area, you could do that and keep the visual balance I think, because the fly trap with that curve of his head is already making you look in that direction.

The one thing that distracts me - although the bow is super cute, it's so very big compared to her head.. personally I would shrink it a tiny bit, which would also help give space between it and the fly trap's head. But that's a minor thing - overall it's fab πŸ™‚

• @Katrina-Fowler very cool idea and execution of said idea.

Like others here, I would reduce the bow size. I really like the design of the girl otherwise. Maybe she could be holding the flies up more?

One of the main things you might want to do is: push the venus fly trap design further. You don't have to go into gross-out horror mode but I think it could have a lot scarier/creepier design. At the very least you might want to increase the over all head size (it can be overlapping it's body) and maybe add a "hungry smile/smirk".

• Thank you all for the feed back. I made the plant more scary and the bow a bit smaller. My kids sit on the floor for story time at their school so I thought I'd have Haven's fellow classmates huddling in fear on the circular carpet. A book shelf and clock on the wall as the background. I didn't want it too distracting. (Think I'm going to have to change the perspective of the wagon to match the book shelves in the background.)

sketch v4.jpg

• @Katrina-Fowler For me the first image is really nice - there is a lot of potential energy there - in the second image the story is playing out and we do not have to imagine it - i think imagining it is for me much better - the look on the plants face in the first one is sufficiently ambiguous that i am not sure if the flies will be enough to hold its attention satisfy its appetite during show and tell - in the second the tension is broken and we see the story unfold for us - in the second image i find myself making small judgments about the scene rather than enjoying the potential mayhem - The first image plus adding classmates with very apprehensive looks instead of terrified looks on their faces might be able to sustain the tension - still leaving the action up to our imagination - i think in both though i would like to see the plant not holding the little girls leg -anyways these are just my reactions and i hope you don't mind my sharing them - i think you already know i love your work - i'm looking forward to seeing where this ends up πŸ™‚

• ..... a little more 'nice'

sketch v5.jpg

• @Katrina-Fowler

I really like it. The girl is gorgeous to me, specially her gesture and her "wardrobe". My thoughts:

• I think it will give more interest to the story and the image if one of the mates of her is not scared or surprised but "in love" (entranced, captivated...) with the plant.
    • The corporal gesture of the plant can be more expresive.
    • The corporal gesture of the girl is almost perfect but it could express a more heavy weighted plant, making more dramatic and admirable the girl "effort".

I wonder what facial expresion will have the plant in the final result, and I'm pretty interested in future steps.

• Liking this excited (Dog) plant waiting expectantly for his treat of flies. Not sure if the girls bow overlapping the plant is working or if I should separate them.

flat.jpg

• It's looking fantastic @Katrina-Fowler ..love all the drawing. If it were me I would definitely separate the plant from the bow..it's the focal point and I'd like to see all of that Venus fly trap smile!

• @Dulcie Thanks for the feed back! Agree on the overlap - must change that. I was hoping the smaller leaves and less vines over the wagon would be an improvement. I also added a few books and pillows to hold in the plant pot.

I'm really trying to get the sketch and value down before jumping into the final. Something I have to keep reminding myself to do. That's what ruined my Feb illustration 'Love'. It just became a struggle of detail. ugh.

Thanks again.

• Yeah I think you're doing absolutely the right thing by re-drawing and getting all the 'feel' and value and concept right first, before diving into the detail. It is getting better and better each time πŸ™‚ I know, it's so tempting just to jump in and say 'I'm going to make it look amazing RIGHT NOW! and just get on with the painting πŸ™‚

• @Dulcie Oh man, I definitely agree. This forum has reminded me of so many things that I've forgotten to practice as an artist.

Oh man, I love how the sketch is coming out. Would love to see how this turns out! πŸ™‚

• love watching your progress, thank you for sharing and your line work is so sweet!

• Wow! Great work, I love it! And I love your style!

• Great, original idea! Keep it up! I love that she took it in her coaster wagon. I also love the roots climbing out of the pot. It adds to the story of the illustration.

https://www.instagram.com/exodusillustration/

• Plugging away... Did a color sketch.
    Haven V1 sm.jpg

Now working on the actual color...
    Haven V2.jpg