February 3rd Thursday

• Okay, so after several days of brainstorming and a few days of doodling, I think I've finally decided on a direction. Here's the first draft:

IMG_0010.jpg

• That is lovely @Suzy-Heitz ...I like both the concept and the composition...looking forward to where you take it next!

• @Dulcie Thanks!

• Working on the characters.

girl.jpg

• Awesome. You really hit the mark on the girl's expression of love for her bun.

• IMG_0649.jpg

• I Suzy! I really love your idea for this illustration and the composition is really great!
    The little girl and bunny characters are great as well! However, I felt there was something a little odd looking about the mother... I think adding some volume on her torso/abdomen, making her arms a bit bigger/longer (elbows are suppose to line up with the top of the pelvis) and working the head construction a little more would help. I hope you don't mind, but I did a little draw over to show what I mean (keep in mind that I am not a professionnal but I hope it helps anyway!!)

Sans titre-1.jpg

• @NoWayMe In this project I'm looking to push the characters in a playful direction without distorting them too much. Thanks for your input; I'm still in discovery mode. 😉

• So now I'm working on the other elements. This is a challenge. Working through some process too. I'm debating on if I should redraw the whole thing on a clean sheet, or at some point seal the drawing and just paint right over what I've got going. Some many options.

IMG_0654.jpg

• looking sweet!

• @Naroth-Kean Thanks for the encouragement!

• I like watching you evolve this by sections and by style. Good job on the room elements!

• @Suzy-Heitz Hey Suzy this is looking great - I struggle with whether or not to mention impressions like this one because I'm not sure if it is helpful or not - but here it is - I Love the original drawing! - it looks really great to me - I would love to see it colored just as it is with no corrections of form or perspective - with no added detail - I had the same feeling with some of Jonathan B's thumbnails - really full of life and energy - the "working on characters" post looks awesome to me also... that character looks perfect to me - for me these drawings are very enjoyable to look at and hold my attention longer than the highly refined version - I hope that does not sound negative because I do like all of the pieces - anyways feel free to ignore 🙂 - Looking forward to seeing the next step

• @Suzy-Heitz

I really like it. Thinking in possible improvements I fill that the mom pose can be more descriptive. She is not showing her face so the body gesture could tell us a bit more, I guess.

Anyway, It looks great.

• @Kevin-Longueil Thanks, Kevin. I know what you mean about the energy in the thumbnails. I've always done loose gestural drawing when working with live models and am caught between keeping it loose or tightening things up. I guess I was thinking tight meant professional or something. IDK -- It's not negative at all; I can appreciate your perspective. I've worked so much from photographs in the past too (for portrait commissions) it's become a bit of a crutch. I've always wanted to work from my imagination but haven't had much success. Also, I just watched Will's "Visualizing Drawing in Perspective" which helped me a lot. I'm searching for what feels right and also a process that keeps things lively. It takes a lot of work!! 😃 Anyone else out there having growing pains?!?

Thanks everyone for the feedback. 🙂

• Oh, my gosh...growing pains, yes, worse than when I was a teenager! I feel like I have a disorder...one minute I want to give up, the next I feel kind of ok about what I'm doing. This process repeats itself constantly. Additionally, I did about 20 different thumbnails for this project, started around 8 drawings, and am still working on 3 different paintings. I am a grown adult, and it's as if my focus is all over the place. I think if you feel like this is difficult and it takes a lot of work, then it's really meaningful to you, so that's got to be a good thing, right? When I am struggling, I listen to a Will Terry pep talk video, read things in the forum, or watch an SVS video to feel like I'm at least learning something, even if I'm not drawing or painting. This has got to be one of the most supportive online communities I've ever seen. It's really impressive. Also, you're doing great work! I really like your ideas. Keep it up!

• @Carrie Yes! Knowing we're not alone is reassuring. We've got the same process going with this assignment; multiple thumbnails, drawings, and paintings. Oh, and the courses, videos, and forum also! That's been my MO so far too. LOL Thanks for your comments. I'm looking forward to seeing what you're working on too. 🙂

• I went ahead and sealed the drawing and decided to do some underpainting to find the right contras and value. Not sure how this is going to work out...

IMG_0671.jpg

• Alas, this piece has a major case of the uglies and has to be burned. Eek! Back to the drawing board and another (and probably altogether different) attempt at the painting process...

• This is the only bit I'll show. The rest is a disaster. 🙂
    IMG_0692.jpg