July 3rd Thursday: Jack and the Beanstalk

• @Alberto-M Fantastic work. I like it

• Shows me for not reading all the details. I thought the deadline was midnight on the 3rd Thursday, not noon.

*tear

It's my own fault, but what a bummer!

I was going to try to get this to color by midnight, but here's the grey scale version for your viewing pleasure. I'm pleased with where it's going. At least I'll get a great new illustration out of the deal. :)

Has the deadline been noon before? Curse you change, my old nemesis!

I won't get into the crit tonight, but I'd still love to hear from the group here what you think is working and what could be better.

Thanks!

Flight Home3.jpg

PS: Yeah, no Twitter or Instagram here...

• @Sarah-LuAnn I love your take on the classic story in this alternate time period. Awesome!

I also really love the woodblock print style you did it in. I contemplated doing mine that way too. :) I really appreciate how the clothing textures follow the contours of the clothing.

One place my eye gets a bit caught is in Jack's hair. The highlights are very similar in size and spacing. Hair can be a bain and a blessing. :) Maybe a few of the smaller shapes could be grouped together to break things up a bit. I'm always accidentally making my hair shapes too similar.

I bet you get critiqued tonight! Good luck!

• @Alberto-M I wish I knew the story driving this image! Clearly in the Jack and the Beanstalk classic, but seems like something a little extra is going on here. The character seems female, yes? Great expression and gesture!

I love how you designed your beanstalk, too. I thought that would be one of the super fun parts of my illustration. Hehe... not so much for me. :)

The perspective of the whole composition reads really well. I love pushing the angle!

Well done! I hope it becomes an illustration you're proud of! I didn't realize the deadline was during the day rather than midnight this time, so mine won't be in the competition, but the illustration I got put together, albeit only to the refined value stage, is one I'm quite pleased with.

Glad I participated either way! :)

• @Maile-McCarthy I love the composition of your piece. the depth of scene is brilliant. It tells that story beautifully. For me, the colours are just right. The only thing I would say is; Depth of the wall. It looks thin and not like a castle wall. Other than that awesome. I can definitely see this in a children's book.

• @Maureen-BF Hi Maureen. I agree with Kris. The tattoo is a great touch. Lovely colours and I love the composition. It tells the story extremely well. Awesome work.

• @Kris-Knight Hey, Kris. I love the drama in your illustration -- Jack and the goose look really shocked and I love the touches in Jack's hair. - Maureen

• @Peter-Jarvis Hi, Peter. Thank you.

• @Maureen-BF

Thanks Maureen, I appreciate the compliment. I will say that after having seen the painting styles picked for the last couple critiques, I'm not sure if the style I'm painting in is really looked on that favorably. So, maybe the next go around I will flex my creative muscles and attempt something I've not done and something that seems to be better received. lol. I don't know. :) Just thinking out loud :)

• @Peter-Jarvis Thank you for your feedback. My illustration looked flat to me, but I couldn't figure out why. Now that I look at it again, I see exactly what you mean about the wall, especially surrounding the window. It looks paper thin!

Looks like your connection to SVS Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.